Kimberley's Waltz

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This is a composition by the renowned Scottish accordion player and composer Phil Cunningham. I heard if first being played by some of my fiddler buddies and really liked it. I am playing it here on mandolin with electric guitar and octave backing, the guitar capoed at 7th fret.

https://youtu.be/qDgRV4ibkBA
  2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    That's a very pretty tune, John, and sensitive playing. I'm currently looking at another Phil Cunningham waltz -- Donna's Waltz. He might be going through his female friends one by one...

Martin
  3. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
  4. John W.
    John W.
    Lovely waltz, John.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, all. Mr Cunningham is a prolific composer as well as a superb musician.
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    This waltz is a beauty. You performed it very well on all instruments, John.
    I couldn’t find a book with sheet music by Phil Cunningham. May be anyone is able to recommend a title, please?
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Frithjof. I am not aware of any printed collections of Phil's music. Have a look at sites like thesession.org or abcnotation.com. So many out there as he has written so much, and there is a huge spread including slow airs, waltzes, reels, hornpipes, pipe marches, etc. I have several of his tunes notated but I am aware of copyright restrictions so do not post them on sites such as this one. The folk I play regularly with at home here (accordion and fiddle players mainly) will share the tunes around the group as we play quite a lot of Phil's music in our sessions. One we play a lot is a march in A major called The Craic at Clashmore Hall.Loads of versions on YouTube, many on accordion.
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, John, for the detailed answer.
    I understand and respect your thoughts about copyright restrictions. That’s one reason I tried to buy printed sheet music. Just to support the composer a little. I only found and ordered a 1998 issue of 50 Fiddle Solos by Aly Bain – accompanied by Phil Cunningham - with CD.

Of course, I should go through thesession.org and abcnotation.com and the likes.
  9. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    That's a beautiful waltz and played so well. Your backup playing on this is especially nice. The little runs really add to overall feel of the tune. Almost sounds like a classical composition. Really wonderful.
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great arrangement of a beautiful waltz, John!
  11. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    One of those pleasant Scottish tunes, made for retreated happiness rather than battle. I found a recording by Cunningham/Bain on YT, and your arrangement is doing it full justice (when I read "electric guitar", I expected something totally different ). This is for floating, not marching.
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Once again many thanks, all. Always reassuring to get such positive comments from fine players. The guitar is a Gibson L4 CES, Bertram, so mellow enough for accompanying "floating, not marching" tunes, as you so elegantly put it. A wee change from my Lowden acoustic.
  13. Marlkw
    Marlkw
    Gosh that is so beautiful. The mandolin sounds lovely and you make it look so easy.
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very moving performance John, well played, and professional production noted too.
  15. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Having first heard this tune in John's lovely recording last month, I have now got around to recording my own version, using the Vinaccia.

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/rXTE9iAq-zU

Martin
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A fine version of this great tune, Martin (even with the tremolo - I noted your comment on Niel Gow's Lament ). The Vinaccia has a lovely tonal range.
  17. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John. Apologies for the tremolo -- it felt to me like the tune wanted it when played on the Vinaccia. It's strange how vintage instruments come alive when they are played regularly: when I first got it, I thought the Vinaccia had a nice tone but felt very soft and mellow but s bit muted. It then spent nearly a decade with my mother and when i got it back, I put it into heavy rotation and it just blossomed as the trebles came alive. The flip side is that my Embergher and Ceccherini are being neglected and when I do play them don't sound as good as I know they can.

Martin
  18. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    I missed this? So pretty John! Love your take Martin!
  19. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Frank.
  20. Dick Dery
    Dick Dery
  21. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Frank and Dick -- I used the score that link for my own recording as well. Nice transcription.

Martin
  22. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    The Vinaccia sounds great, as does your tremolo, fine recording, Martin !
  23. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I tried to play it completely without tremolo, but had no control over my right hand during the long notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkIOsYt-5Jw
  24. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine delivery, Christian. That right hand just knows it wants to play a slow tremolo on those long notes.
  25. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    I've been itch'n to do this tune ever since I heard Johns' version. Thanks for the Listen!!
  26. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Frank, such a beautiful piece of solo playing. You bring out the beauty of Phil's composition so well here.
  27. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    That is so beautiful, Frank.
  28. John W.
    John W.
    I fully understand your itch, Frank…another one to go on the list. As I commented on your YT channel, a beautiful Cunningham tune, played beautifully.
  29. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thanks much gents! I'm back in a waltz frame of mind so...
  30. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Frank, master of modest melodies strikes again - and with doublestops and chords to surreptitiously sink into our hearts