Lady Ramsay (Phil Cunningham)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a Scottish slow air written by Phil Cunningham. Not to be confused with "Lady Mary Ramsay" (a reel by Nathaniel Gow), "Lady Lucy Ramsay", Lady Betty Ramsay" or "Lady Lucinda Ramsay" (all strathspeys). Lots of tunes written for or about Ramsay women.

Played on tenor guitar, with mandolin doubling an octave higher.

Vintage Viaten tenor guitar (x2)
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin

https://youtu.be/No9sqTKNA6w

Martin
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Your tenor guitar suits as lead instrument this slow air very well, Martin.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Frithjof. It's one of Phil's more obscure tunes, but I think it's really nice. I can't find any recording by Phil himself, but there are a number of covers online. The only professional one I have found is by Duncan Chisholm here, taking it somewhat slower than me.

Martin
  4. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    A nice sow air beautifully arranged and played, Martin.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    The tenor with its longer sustain does justice to this slow air, Martin. Fine delivery too.
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Many thanks, John and Christian -- much appreciated.

Martin
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks to Martin for reminding me about this lovely Phil Cunningham slow air, and for his other postings of Phil's tunes recently in the SAW Group.

Here is my version, on mandolin, octave , guitar and bass. I used a transcription I made of the recording by Scottish fiddler Duncan Chisholm on his beautiful Redpoint album and which is also posted on YouTube (Martin has put the link in his original posting).

The pictures are of the Chinese Lakes above Castle Toward and Innellan Reservoir above the village of Innellan near my home on The Firth of Clyde.

https://youtu.be/yKt43BnOsXM
  8. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    A beatiful melody, the pleasant sound of four instruments perfectly in time and a nice video, thanks John.
  9. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Nice recordings Martin and John. Thanks for sharing. Another tune for my need to learn list.