Caleno Custure Me

1. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    What's up guys? No more new songs or comments for the last few days.
    In an attempt to fill this void, I'm going to post a Renaissance song, that is also mentioned in Shakespeare's Henry V: Caleno Custure Me
  2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice Christian. This is a song that I have tried to record a couple of times, but couldn't really get to work. I may give it another go.

Martin
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting observation you have made, Christian, re lack of activity/responses recently in the group. I know I have been easing off lately as I felt I was posting too much, both videos and comments, and just reckoned I would have a wee break. Maybe others have felt this too? As Arnie would say, "I'll be back!"

I like this latest posting of yours!
  4. Bren
    Bren
    Good weather, maybe.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Christian's recording has given me the push for another attempt at this tune, although it has ended up sounding not much like his.

This early English folk song was first published in 1584, but is likely to be significantly older. Shakespeare mentions the title in Henry V, and William Byrd wrote a set of variations on the tune. My instrumental recording is based on Allan Alexander's setting in "Early Dance Music for Mandolin", and played as a renaissance dance tune.

Played on waldzither, tuned to GDAEA to add a bright treble A open string at the top. Also a chance to show another of my vintage instruments on video.

1925 Jul. Heinr. Zimmermann waldzither
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/aveim0FSMm0

Martin
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Very nice recording, Martin, the Waldzither was a great choice for this song.
  7. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Beautiful job gentlemen! Love the contrast.