How to get the HARMONY of a tune or song with .abc

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Not exactly a tune of the week, but I thought it would be fun to post some .abc archives and talk (a little bit) about harmony.

https://youtu.be/aqzaz_EnSb0
  2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
  3. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    I had to join this group just to comment on this post.

Simon this video is extremely informative and lucid. I am very excited by the possibilities that it opens up in my mind!

I'm not a super experienced player, but am always trying to learn how different aspects of music work. I feel like the information in here is going to be a useful route into helping me learn to figure out what to play on my mandola (and maybe even my Octofone) along with my mandolin.

I'll be following the discussion with interest, but may not be able to dive into my own explorations right away. I'm currently swamped with non-musical endeavors.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Your very welcome Sue, much appreciated.
    A lot of people use YouTube to find the tunes they like.
    I like the abc files because I can go through a lot of tunes in a collection quite quickly and there’s just the basic melody, and sometimes a harmony part for each one.
    It’s really good too for comparing different versions from different centuries and places.
    Some of the melodies have v different versions but you can still see on the fretboard where and why the changes occur.
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Since, in fact, almost any old note in the same key will do for harmony just as long as it's not too near the melody note, that is basically what I do when playing doublestop accompaniment (just without the whole computation in my head). Most of the time, I do major/minor sixths, which is minor/major third inverted, and this is the first time I saw a computer do what I do (no wonder it's easy). The tweak with the V1/V2 in ABC is interesting, thanks for that.
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Bertram, yes I’ve recently been enjoying fourths and sixths harmonising:

Calipso Rose
    https://youtu.be/tPQ0PDi6m1k