Has anyone had delivery of a Mike Black recently ?

1. imrie3
    imrie3
    Like the title says " Has anyone had delivery of a Mike Black recently ? "
  2. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    ProfessorO posted that he’s waiting on an A4 from Mike back in May:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/m...206-ProfessorO

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...447-Mike-Black
  3. imrie3
    imrie3
    Nobody ? I am tring to figure out how long the wait is now as it it is still difficult to get a response.
  4. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    Mike posted on the Cafe as recently as Monday:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...77#post1875377
  5. Peter Reynolds
    Peter Reynolds
    I placed an order for a Short Scale back in March 2021. He's somewhat hard to get ahold of, but Facebook DMs seem to work the best. He Said back in May(2022) that my Mandolin would soon be ready for binding and finishing. We never actually discussed the details of what my mandolin would look like though(color, binding, etc). Whatever happens, COVID was a hard time for people, so I'm just glad he's still out there doing his thing.
  6. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    What do you mean by a “Short Scale?” Is it going to be 13” like a classical instrument?
  7. Peter Reynolds
    Peter Reynolds
    Correct. Mike makes 13~ inch scale, carved top,Oval and F hole mandolins. He has a page about them on his website, too. I have a flat top with the same scale, this one would be a great companion to it.
  8. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    Neat. Are you anticipating an oval or f-holes?
  9. Peter Reynolds
    Peter Reynolds
    I specified a Short-scale A4 when I put down the deposit, so hopefully an oval hole.
  10. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    It’s hard to imagine an A4 with f-holes. Please keep us apprised of the progress with your build!
  11. imrie3
    imrie3
    My order for an A2Z was arranged in February of 2021, last time I heard from Mike he was looking at mid or late July for completion, so I assume I will hear from him soon.
  12. Dan Forney
    Dan Forney
    I got an email from Mike today with some pix of my A2Z ready for frets and inlay.
  13. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    Thanks for sharing the pictures, Dan!
  14. imrie3
    imrie3
    Mike Black Mandolins <mike@blackmandolins.com>
    To:
    Imrie Anderson

Tue, Nov 22 at 11:38 AM

Hello Imrie,

It's getting real close. Yes, I will send you a tracking number. I should be putting the final French Polish coats on, after the varnish fully cures by Monday next week. Then that will take about 10 days to cure before I can put the hardware on and string it up. So It should be ready to send out by December 12th. Just in time for Christmas.

Mike Black
    www.blackmandolins.com
  15. imrie3
    imrie3
    Had some good news from Mike, let you know when I grt it and post sme pics, Imrie.
  16. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    Thanks for sharing your good news, Imrie. I remember how hard it was to wait for my A2-z, but those delays were forgotten when I tuned up that mandolin for the first time.
  17. Mills
    Mills
    I received a new black top A2Z with a verzi last week from Mike and I am really happy with it! It is the first oval hole instrument I have owned. Build quality far exceeded my expectations and is comparable to instruments I have played that cost significantly more. After a few days of playing it has really opened up. Not totally sure how much the verzi impacts sound/tone, but I am happy I ordered the mandolin the way I did. Build took longer than anticipated but absolutely worth the wait!
  18. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    A blacktop A2-z with Virzi? Those are rare game. Does it sound as good as this one?

19. Mills
    Mills
    It sounds pretty great! That video was one of the reasons I decided to order. I just put some pictures of mandolin in the group photos, it definitely sounds as good as it looks!
  20. Dan Forney
    Dan Forney
    I got my A2Z a week ago. I really like it - went with adirondack top and no virzi. Mike put a strap button on the heel, which I wasn't expecting but may come in handy - we'll see. It does make a slightly awkward fit in the case though. Here's a short video so you can hear it:
  21. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    It sounds like Mills and Dan are two happy customers. How about you, Imrie?
  22. imrie3
    imrie3
    Well I would have to have a mandolin to tell you, and have not received mine, or heard about any tracking number so far, Imrie.
  23. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    That’s strange. I would have assumed that your A2-z was in the same batch with Mills’ and Dan’s instruments. Maybe @MikeBlack will chime in here with an update if he hasn’t emailed you already!
  24. Dan Forney
    Dan Forney
    Imrie it will happen. And it will be awesome. I'm liking my A2Z more and more every day. Never had an oval hole mandolin before, but I love the way they sound. A couple of my motivators were Marla Fibish, Carl Jones, and Bikemutt (on youtube who at one point had a MB that sounded great). The top is really beautiful wood and it is really set up well and is really easy to play. Loud! And clear! The trebles really pop and the D string has the classic oval hole sound of an old Gibson. Mike makes great mandolins.
  25. imrie3
    imrie3
    ----- Forwarded Message -----
    To: Imrie Anderson <imrieanderson@yahoo.com>
    Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2022 at 12:06:17 PM EST
    Subject: Re: A2Z

Hello Imrie,

I wanted to let you know that your mandolin is about finished. It would have been done before Christmas but both my kids got Covid-19 again. Luckily it was only minor and they got over it before Christmas. I have been working on getting it set up here and there. And hopefully should be done in the next few days.

Mike Black
    www.blackmandolins.com

Sent from a very tiny keyboard
  26. imrie3
    imrie3
    Heard from Mike today, this is where we stand with the A2Z.
  27. Mills
    Mills

Here is a quick sound clip of my new A2Z. You are going to be happy Imrie!
  28. imrie3
    imrie3
    Very nice, you are a very accomplished player, that is obvious, thanks for the post, Imrie.
  29. imrie3
    imrie3
    Mike Black Mandolins <mike@blackmandolins.com>
    To:
    Imrie Anderson

Thu, Jan 12 at 11:29 AM

Hello Imrie,

Good news! Your mandolin is at the post office on its way to you!
  30. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    Good news? That’s great news! I hope that your A2-z proves that it was worth the wait!
  31. imrie3
    imrie3
    Got the A2 yesterday, arrived well. With my advancing age and declining health, (basal artery stroke ) don't know how much use it will see, well pleased with it nonetheless, Imrie.
  32. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    Pictures or it didn’t happen!
  33. imrie3
    imrie3
    Click for pics I have never been accused of being a photographer.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GMiSWfL6kl8GfsjKAk8uyAldNyx7xFrK?usp=sharing
  34. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    You must give us access to your Google Drive.

P.S. Although the image that you uploaded to the group looks beautiful!
  35. imrie3
    imrie3
    I may have the pics corrected, let me know, thanks.
  36. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    The pics are corrected, and they are spectacular. Play the frets off of that thing!
  37. imrie3
    imrie3
    Still om the fence about keeping this one or not, if you have an interest, reach out. Imrie.
  38. imrie3
    imrie3
    I am not on the fence because of the mandolin, I feel it is all a new mandolin could be, and better than all but the best old Gibsons. MY issue is a stroke I had 4 1/2 years ago, a basal artery stroke for those who know asout it, and my decline in health and function. Cannot play out anymore, almost never pick with anyone, I need to be dowmsizing at this point. Sorry about all the rambling on, Imrie.
  39. ProfessorO
    ProfessorO
    These pics of the A4 build arrived today. More to follow as I receive them. Getting a little hot under the collar around here. Let this old timer know if there’s any trouble with the link.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...as9pH4e1nVSvfL
  40. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    That’s some beautiful looking maple!