Far Away/Maids of Mitchelstown

1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I am sure David Hansen has a video of Far Away by Pete Jung, but i can't find a thread with that here, so here goes...

Two slow pieces from New England and Ireland you cannot dance to anyway, so the sudden change of time is not too challenging.
    I employ the counter melody Bothy Band have once added to the trad. reel Maids of Michelstown here with the tenors.

2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting set here, Bertram. That octave mandola has some really low notes, and you have other interesting sounds in the mix here too. Good to see you posting - it seems like a while since your last one.
  3. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Fine playing, Bertram. Wait, you have a Mellotron? I was wondering what the drone was on the first tune. Love the ZZ Top look and sound with the electric tenor. Cool!
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great sound, Bertram!
    You may remember the tread started by Simon two years ago.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, Bertram -- I like the slow treatment with the drone in the background. Very atmospheric!

Frithjof: The thread you have linked is a very nice but unrelated song air (Over The Hills And Far Away). We do have a thread for "Far Away" here:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...485&do=discuss

None for "Maids Of Mitchelstown", though.

Martin
  6. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Fabulous Bertram. I remember a few of us did this song a few years ago -just calling it Far Away - but not the Maids of Mitchelstown. I did mine as a tribute to soldiers Far Away from home. I really like your rendition here, such beautiful tones you have going in especially in the second one - wow !
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks all for the kind words .

Martin, thanks for pointing me to the thread - it doesn't seem to be in the "Other Tunes" list.

Don, that mellotron is a synthetic feature of GarageBand. I couldn't put up with the maintenance-intensive steampunk analog original, though I love the sound. You can still buy new mellotrons today, but they are just keyboards with digital sampling, so the product seems to meet me halfway.
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Oops! Thanks, Martin, for pointing out the right thread.
    I thought it’s a set of two tunes. Should have a listen before posting the link.
  9. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Captivating! So much atmosphere! Emotion! Is that a "telescope"???
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Frank, yes, that's an 8" Dobson.
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Sounds great with the accompaniment Bertram and I love your usual daring, dashing, swashbuckling style.
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Simon, that has me thinking. "Swashbuckling" is a word I would never have associated with the pessimistic introvert I am - could there be another me I never met?
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    You, a pessimistic introvert, Bertram? Never, and remember we have met face to face. That flamboyant left hand fingering and the powerful picking style you employ all suggest the optimistic showman, I reckon, as well as being a fine player of the octave!
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    When we pick up our instruments we can be very different people Bertram.

Been playing The Dark Girl Dressed in Blue by John McKenna today -in your style! Love it. Thanks for the energy.
  15. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    When we pick up our instruments we can be very different people Bertram

Ok, Simon, I'm buying that. Wonder who I'd be with a saxophone
  16. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    A great mix of instruments and emotions, Bertram!
  17. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Going from introverted to swashbuckling, this ticks all my boxes with the good tune, bold picking, rousing transition and even mellotron sounds!
  18. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Chris and Dennis, I hope it was not too blowhardy or braggadocious, 'cause emotions are easy to raise but hard to control
  19. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Bertram, do you have one of those medieval instruments that Dennis plays, can't remember the name, it's basically an Irish whistle or oboe with a saxaphone mouthpiece?
    One of those played with a digeridoo air-pumping, or hurdy gurdy-type rhythm.

-and heavy metal filter... oh yeh!!
  20. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Simon, I have one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-uydDlTPJ4
    Will try to employ it in my next vid...
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice!