Summer on Marshall Pond

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This is another tune I got from the recent Nigel Gatherer workshop which took place at Cairnbaan back on 17th and 18th August. The notation can be found on Nigel's website under the Mixter Maxter No 17 heading. Access through TEACHING, then WORKSHOPS then MIXTER MAXTER.

The waltz was composed by US musician Pam Weeks.

My version here is played on octave with octave harmony and guitar. The harmony is, as far as I know, written by Nigel for use in the workshop. I had a search through the archives here but could find no other posting of this tune, even using the Advanced search.

2. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    A wonderful peaceful waltz with perfect photos to match it. Lovely.
  3. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I love this melody John. A beauty for sure and loving the harmonies. You have been busy !
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    The name tells of its American origin, but it could be Scottish with the overall harmonic structure and the intricate melodic artwork.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Don, Ginny and Bertram. Can you imagine the sound of 36 mixed instruments playing this at the workshop, with the harmony being taken up by fiddles, then concertinas/accordion, etc. It was quite a moving experience and a tribute to Nigel's skills in leading a very mixed group of players on a new tune. I do not have a recording of the group!
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    A lovely arrangement expectedly well played. Thanks, John!
    Great possibility to attend of such a workshop by Nigel Gatherer!

BTW, am I the only one who sees the alligator in your video around 0:30 – or is it a relative of Nessie?!
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Alligators in Argyll? I think I can see it, but it's a pareidolic creature (which Nessie might be as well - the monsters I encountered around Loch Ness were always no more than a millimetre long).
  8. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Beautiful work John! Your photos match perfectly and your recording, has a real studio quality to it. Well done!
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Lovely recording John, you give the piece a great sense of the grandeur of the landscape.
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Fine playing and a masterful video, John!
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks once again, all.
  12. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    As Simon says, the recording has a panoramic feel to it, as if it wanted to be the soundtrack to a film of amazing landscapes - which you promptly provided as well! I think this may be one of your best, even by your high standards.