Santa Lucia

1. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Here's a tune I learned wayyy back when. Thanks for listen'n
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What an evocative piece of playing here, Frank. I've always really liked this tune and your delivery is so beautiful.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Wonderful delivery there, Frank -- great rubato and such a smooth tremolo. I love these Neapolitan tunes, and we have many of them in our group repertoire.

My version along with Christian's is here:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...992&do=discuss

Martin
  4. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Very pretty tune.

There is also yet another different thread (so there's 3 different threads now!) that has several videos of this tune, although it's not apparent from that thread's title. That page is, however, listed in Barbara's Table Of Contents - Other Tunes via text search on that page.

I really wish this forum had a way to 'pin' those lists to the top so that they don't keep getting inundated in a flood of new posts, but apparently this section of the Cafe uses some sort of cut-rate discount less-featured forum software that doesn't have all those capabilities. It's not Barbara's fault, she does the best that anyone could possibly be expected to do, but the actual site owner (that guy whose name I can't remember right now who plays really, really *really* good despite allegedly having some attitude lol at times) for some reason he chooses to keep using the old forum software which seems to have limited functionality. My understanding is that it doesn't even let Barbara merge threads, which could possibly solve a lot of the confusion in finding tunes with all the duplicate threads that are always showing up.

To make matters worse, it appears that Google search is no longer indexing this section of the forum either (that seems to have been the case for some time now), even when using fancy search tricks at the actual Google site.

Anyway, Frankdolin, your version is very nice, thanks for sharing it with us.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Hi Jess,

I wouldn't blame Scott for that. You may remember a couple of years ago, there was meant to be a big upgrade of the forum software but it went badly wrong with bugs and crashes to the extent that for a few days it looked like we had lost the Cafe altogether. Scott managed to downgrade back to the old version and to restore all the content from a backup, but understandably hasn't tried for a repeat.

As I understand it, the "Social Groups" option of this forum software package is intended for a more chatty and more ephemeral gathering of informal sub-groups away from the general audience of the main forum. In that context some of the different features make sense, such as the lack of indexing but also our ability to edit our old posts at any time (in the main forum you only have a few hours). The way we're using the SAW group is arguably not quite in the chat-like ephemeral idea of the social groups, in particular in the way we want to have a permanent index and an archive of our old recordings, but there are historical reasons and by now it's far too late for us to migrate into the main forum. I still quite like this reduced visibility here in any event.

Martin
  6. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Good points, Martin. I do appreciate the non-time-limited editing capability - I wonder if that setting got enabled inadvertently somehow? (shhh) I've never seen any other forums anywhere that allowed that, but it's useful for preventing dead links to things like updated versions of sheet music etc... assuming one can find the original thread that it was posted in, that is.

As to the reduced visibility, I dunno, the vast majority of my mandolin videos are lucky to get 30 views after 5+ years since the only place I post them is here and there aren't a whole lot of viewers here (for those of us who don't do any other social media and also have limited subscribers as I do, I've only got upwards of 150 subscribers and most of those want either Star Trek clips or tech tutorials, not mandolin stuff), so I'm not sure that reduced visibility does anything for me. Although I suppose it cuts down on the trolls and people who would otherwise be telling me I'm playing everything wrong.
  7. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Forgot to mention, Frankdolin's video *is* available, despite the greyed-out thumbnail which I think usually (or at least used to) indicate a missing video, but when I click it it plays normally. Strange things happenin' with YouTube these days...
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Interesting thoughts by Jess and Martin.

BTW , I the recording by Frank. Great tremolo.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Great playing and thanks for reminding me of this wonderful tune Frank. You’ve got a lot of experience over the years but I’m amazed at your skills in just this last 12 months.
    Hard work, well done.

Peace, Love and many kind supportive comments. [heart shape]
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Re the software used by Scott (the guy whose name Jess cannot remember just now) I, like Martin, remember the trouble that Scott experienced when he tried to update/upgrade the software and we had an awful time until he reset to the older system again. The SAW Group is only one tiny part of the whole Mandolin Cafe website and with a tiny handful of regularly active participants. I am not too bothered that we may at times post our latest efforts in a new thread when there already exist other threads with the same tune. I am guilty of this at times, even after doing a search (which seems not to work so well now). Generally one of the more eagle-eyed among us will point this out and the tune can then be posted in the "correct" thread. Sometimes this may even have the effect of getting more views and discussion - as has happened in this case. Some of us also post our tunes in other areas of the site so the tune can exist outside the SAW Group as well.

As Simon says, "Peace, Love and many kind supportive comments".
  11. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thanks so much John, Martin, Jess, Frithjof, and Simon!
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
  13. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Martin and John, yes I remember the attempted site upgrade, but they were trying to upgrade the *entire* site to something completely new, different, presumably unfamiliar, and arguably quite a lot worse and/or incorrectly configured, and yes I agree it was a disaster. (New doesn't necessarily equal better, in the tech world.) Whereas what I was wishing for was just to bring *this* part of the site up to the same standards that the *rest* of the site has *already* enjoyed since like forever. But I suppose there would be issues with (mysterious tech words that I'm probably using wrong) database migration or something. By the way I meant no disrespect by not being able to produce Scott's name, but I'm old and often forget things like names that I should know. (He really does play mandolin quite superbly, I do remember that much - a few years ago I saw a YouTube video of him playing some stuff, it sounded super super nice, great rhythm, great note selection, great vibes, not show-off-y in fact it was quite laid-back which is cool, just really excellent enjoyable sound.)

Anyway, back to the music!
  14. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    I tried, but I can't let this go. Hello, Barbara. I respectfully request you delete this thread all together. I have no desire to have my music involved in any way to a complaint thread about the Cafe, or where to post songs. FYI I did look this up, and found nothing. I won't look up another.
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    The thread can’t be deleted Frank but individual posts can be edited.
    In future I personally would be happy to delete any text that one of our fellow SAWers feels strongly about.
    Some people have already edited their posts here so in the interest of uniformity I think I’ll do the same.

Just printed the tune Frank, will try to learn it (the tremolo parts).
    Thanks for posting it.