London Spy (or Audenard Battle)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This English country dance was first published by I. Walsh and P. Randall in The New Country Dancing Master, 2nd Book (London, 1710), the alternative title coming from a famous battle in 1708. It was also included in later editions of Playford's Dancing Master, from 1710 onwards.

My recording is based on a setting by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni from the third volume of "Evelyn's Big Book Of Mandolin Trios". I'm playing it twice through, with Evelyn's harmony parts coming in on the repeat. Evelyn has transposed the tune two steps up from G minor to A minor and has added two bars to the B part to make it a regular 8-bar jig -- the original only has six bars in the B part.

1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

X:2
    T:Audenard Battle, or London Spy
    M:6/8
    L:1/8
    R:Jig
    S:Walsh - Second Book of the Compleat Country Dancing Master, 3rd Edition (1735)
    K:GMinor
    g|g2d d2g|fdB B2e|ecA A2d|dBG G2g|
    g2d d2g|fdB Be|ecA Bd^F|(G3 G2):|
    |:A|B>cB d2B|d/e/fB A2d|G/A/BG A2D|
    G/A/Bc d2g|fdB AG^F|(G3 G2):||

https://youtu.be/FMTcEE6JAkQ

Martin
  2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Your latest tunes: Ladies Take Care, How Vile Are The Sordid Intrigues Of The Town, and London Spy.
    So what’s happening, Martin?

Nice playing there, and especially tone BTW and I found another book published by another Randall, his son probably. Just going through that.
    Also, maybe the space provided for the 2 bars that are missing in this tune are for improvisation?
    With that title it seems that there would be some special way to play it.
  3. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Another nice tune, that makes the Embergher shine.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I do agree! The Embergher suites these old dance tunes.
  5. John W.
    John W.
    It seems like you have a collection of instruments with each being suited to a particular genre/period…but also being versatile. I agree with previous comments, the Embergher states it’s claim in this piece.
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Simon, Christian, Firthjof and John. Lots of fun to be had with English Country Dance tunes!

Martin
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    When I heard Martin play this tune, I knew I had to learn it. It's one of those that called my name.

A number of coincidences eventually made this video possible. I'm trying to learn a bit of chord theory, so I put together some accompaniment. I bought a medieval drum, which seemed to fit. And I'm in quarantine after a positive Covid test, while the rest of the family is on holiday. So I had plenty of space and nobody complaining about noise!

I feel ambivalent about tunes about battles, soldier songs, and similar. So much great music about so much awful bloodshed. So here's my pacifist version. Let's stop fighting each other and focus on the battles that really matter: against our own evil side, and for the health of the planet.

8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Which title ever … I prefer to call it an English country dance.
    You did a happy version of it with all your instruments, Dennis.
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Missed this one first time round, Martin. You have a great knack of finding obscure tunes with even more idiosyncratic titles, then finding the interesting arrangements you use on your recordings.

Dennis, a good use of your enforced Covid quarantine and a huge effort must have gone into your video when you took us on a tour of your house here. I was fascinated trying to see what was in each scene as we moved around with you, and I was building a fuller picture of you as each new scene unfolded. I wanted to know what was in the boxes behind you around 1:27 while you played the woodwind instrument! Fine playing on a variety of instruments too!
  10. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, Dennis! I like the arrangement, the playing and like John am very impressed by the guided tour of the house. Nice Schalke shirt, too -- pity about recent results...

Thanks for the kind words, John. In this instance, the kudos for finding the tune and arranging it goes to Evelyn!

Martin