Ladies Step Up to Tea

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s another sweet tune.
    Talk about throwing bales of tea into the river, what about the sugar?

https://youtu.be/XJY_xh796bo

X: 1
    T: Ladies Step Up To Tea
    R: slip jig
    M: 9/8
    L: 1/8
    K: Ador
    |:A2E EDE c2A|A2B c2d ecA|A2E EDE c2A|B2G G2B dBG:|
    |:A2e e2d e2c|A2B c2d ecA|A2e e2d efg|B2G G2B dBG|
    A2e e2d e2c|A2B c2d efg|agf gfe dcB|def gfe dcB||

This one’s for Ginny, recorded at my favourite spot with the sun… and trucks.
  2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Just wanted to share this observation, that this tune was a very strange experience. I learned it in super-fast time so really excited about actually being able to do this. And thanks yet again to all my SAW group friends for the encouragement to get this far. I really wouldn’t have been able to do it without your help!

But what I mean is that the tune, to me still feels lumpy. I couldn’t actually get the whole of me sort of move together in time with the slip jig, that is, the (1… 2… 3…) flow. It’s a new and strange feeling where the pick has begun to just push through the strings instead of swinging but I haven’t yet learned to build swings into each measure and then for the melodic phrases which sometimes divide measures. It’s these swings that (I believe) give the tune it’s pulses. And because I’m pushing through the strings, and losing the swinging, I’m starting to have to actually put the swinging in consciously.

Sorry if this doesn’t make sense. Maybe it’s a tempo ceiling thing, I don’t know.
  3. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Great rhythm and economy of movement, as always!

The sounds of everyday life add to the atmosphere, even if they come from trucks ... Keep music live!
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Listening to your playing, Simon, I only hear a fast tune with lively rhythm and spare but effective accompaniment.
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Whatever strange experience you had, Simon, it does not show in the tune. The slip jig swing is there, and if you had to force it that's good on you because it was successful. The backing is what Dennis and Frithjof said: econoffectompaniment
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Forget whatever is going on in your head about lumpiness, etc, Simon. The tune sounds just fine.
  7. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Very impressive, Simon, no reason to have doubts!
  8. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Sounds great to me. No lumps heard.
  9. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    It sounds really nice, Simon. Try and stay out of your head. Your music is excellent.