Farewell to Govan

1. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Another tune composed by Phil Cunningham, this one was used in a play about the shipbuilding industry in Govan near Glasgow:
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine playing, Christian, and a Phil Cunningham tune I had not previously heard. He is such a prolific composer and a wonderful accordionist. I know the Govan area of Glasgow well and it has certainly undergone huge changes over the years I have known it, from its days as one of the country's great shipbuilding and heavy engineering locations.
  3. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I like the way you did the accompaniment. It's tasteful and appropriate to the tune.
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    You make a single lone mandolin carry loads of sentimental memory, riding on a train of lovely harmonics. Dennis and myself can feel it, coming from an ex-heavy-engineering location ourselves, respectively (well I am just guessing on your behalf here, Dennis, hope I'm not too far off).
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    You're right, Bertram. Because of the patchwork of the rural and industrial that we have in our town and region, I grew up opposite a wheat field, but also within a very short distance of coal mines, glassworks and the like. I never made the link you made, though, because people in my home town seem to prefer punk and heavy metal. Now you've said it, though, it's impossible not to feel it. The post-industrial is a good theme for folk tunes.
  6. John W.
    John W.
    Lovely job, Christian…what was the film called? I assume it was made for TV? I’m now curious to hear how the tune sounds in the film…
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Get’s a ‘like’ from me! Nice subtle bass line with guitar too.
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    John W, the tune also goes by the alternate name "The Youngest Ancient Mariner" and was composed by Phil Cunningham in memory of the Govan shipyard workers when it was used as the music for a play about the shipyards. I am not aware of any film having been made. There is a fine recording from St Andrew's Night in November 2016 on BBC Sounds of Phil playing the tune along with students from the Royal Scottish Conservatory. It includes bagpipes!

Here is a link to this performance: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04jpxkt
  9. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks John K, Dennis, Bertram, John W. and Simon! And thanks for the link to the fine recording. John.
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, Christian, for introducing us to another Phil Cunningham tune. Very tasteful recorded by you.
  11. John W.
    John W.
    I really enjoyed the PC and RCS students performance John K…including the bagpipes. A few years ago I attended the Braemar Highland Games…and the large numbers of pipers and drummers playing together “made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up”.
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    If you enjoyed Braemar Games then you would have loved being present at our local Cowal Highland Gathering, John. Braemar is world famous because of its proximity to Balmoral Castle, the Scottish residence of the Royal Family and the particular favourite retreat of the late Queen Elizabeth, who attended the Games each year with her family. At one time we who live in the Cowal Peninsula here in Argyll could rightly claim the largest Highland Gathering in the world - I kid you not! In the many years that Cowal hosted one of the five major pipe band competitions held annually in Scotland (the actual World Championship event, now held at Glasgow Green) we had over 100 bands present on the day and the finale with the massed bands assembled in Dunoon Stadium had over 1000 pipers plus drummers all playing the salute to the chieftain. A sight and sound never to be forgotten.