Paddy Mill's Fancy (reel)

1. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Finally got the camera set up and had a moment to record some tunes. This is a lovely reel that I learnt at Páraic Mac Donnchadha's tenor banjo workshop at this year's Feakle Festival. It was written by Mayo man Paddy Mills - Up Mayo! Only played once through as the strings need changing so the A course won't stay in tune long enough to get through the tune twice.

T: Paddy Mills' Fancy
    R: reel
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    K: Gmaj
    |:FG|DG (3GGG BGAG|FGAB c2Bc|d2eg fdcA|BdAF GFEF|
    DG (3GGG BGAG|FGAB cABc|d2eg fdcA|BdAF G2:|
    |:Bd|g2dg gedc|BG (3GGG FGAB|c2Ad dcAG|FGAB cdef|
    g2dg gedc|BG (3GGG FGAB|c2Ad dcAG|FGAF G2:|

2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's an incredibly beautiful mandolin! I'd never heard this tune before. It's a nice one, indeed.
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I really like your technique, and as Dennis says, that is a lovely instrument.
    Thanks for the motivation.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Jill, so good to see you here again and playing as well as ever. Great picking and a fine sound there. I am looking forward to hearing that mando with the new strings!
  5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Cheers lads, I feel like I did the Girouard an injustice not restringing it as it absolutely rings like a bell with new strings - ah, well, next time!
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Didn't know this one - reminds me a bit of The Ladies' Pantalettes. Driving yet elegant playing
  7. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Great playing and tune. Welcome back; we've missed you.
  8. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Cheers Don, going to try to make regular recording a habit again!
  9. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Jill, that's a nice sounding mandolin and great pickin' as always! Changing strings on a mandolin is such a chore that I've been known to keep them well past the point of being able to tune properly -- many a time.
  10. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I love Jill's clean clear notes and her bang-on rhythmic tempos. I have missed her playing and hope Jill, that you will do more for us. I could say the same for one Michael STUCHE too.
  11. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Yes, isn't it great? Jill comes back, and suddenly Michael reappears too! It's so nice to see you both again.
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Dennis too!!
  13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Sure I'm like a bad penny, ye may not see me for awhile but eventually I'll turn up again! May actually record some stuff on the tenor guitar until the mandolin strings get changed (not procrastinating, I swear!)
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    At least the strings on the tenor should be in better order as you only have four to change each time, Jill! As long as you keep posting with both instruments, new strings or not. The thing is, we get attached to the old strings after a while as they mellow - it is not laziness but fondness that makes us leave them on.