Saltarello

1. pluckinstrings
    pluckinstrings
    Hey there! So this title must cover a numerous amount of different tunes. While searching, I would listen for a bit an go, "Nope. That's not the one." Here is another Michael Praetorius (1571 - 1621), piece for your listening pleasure. I used my thumb a lot more than I thought I would while learning this one.

2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Stop using your thumb or soon you won't be able to play without it. I am no saying it's wrong, but it looks like it should be- this coming from the shortest thumb person around. The tune however, is excellent.
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    An interesting transformation of baroque dancing, i.e. powdered wigs and knee-breeches daintily tiptoeing around each other, into well-grounded beer-bellied waltz, all just by subtle choice of accompaniment, nicely demonstrating how well-integrated yet well-hidden-away baroque still is in modern music.
    And the thumb goes well with this (I am an occasional thumb user myself), although (or maybe just because) an orthodox baroque mandolin teacher would chase you around the music stand for doing that. At an older age, however, arthritis might set in and insist that thumbs were never designed for quick and nimble action in the first place.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting tune there, Jason. The thumb fretting bass notes is something I use at times on guitar but have not tried it on the mandolin. Seems to work well for you when you are playing that low A.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Never mind the thumb, pluckingstrings you are right, this is a type of dance (the name refers to leaping).
    People would leap into the air with much wild energy, singing and shouting. You can hear it in the melodic phrases.
    Many of the phrases were improvised, with each locality having their own versions of many different Saltarellos.
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Two thumbs up, Jason! Great tune and I like the way you include chords in your playing without disrupting the flow of the melody.
    Michael Praetorius also composed some nice country-tinged waltzes like Waltz fo salty Rello, dedicated to his dog Rello, who was a real Salty Dog.
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That is a cool twist of history, Christian, but it filled me with an irresistable urge to uncrumple Rello's right ear at the start
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely rendition, Christian.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    What a lovely dog. And a different Mickael Praetorias tune to boot.
    Well played Christian, nice to hear your decent, mellifluous tremolo.
  10. bbcee
    bbcee
    Two paws up, Christian, nicely played!
  11. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks Bertram, John. Simon and bbcee! I found an arrangement of this saltarello for recorder and bassoon, where the bassoon plays only two different notes, so I tried to fit in some strummed chords.