Give Me One Reason ( Chapman)

1. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Hey Folks! Love all the recent SAW activity!
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very soulful and funky mandolin rendition of this great song...
  3. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    It's good to see this new video from you and listen to how you explore the possibilities of the mandolin. Very funky and creative!
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Moderately funky and experimental on this one.
    Love the hesitating-style rhythm, like an artist deciding what colour paints to use. A splash of emerald, some dark umber here, a touch of turquoise.
    Nice playing Frank.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What Michael said, Frank. Those funky guitar riffs underpinning the melody are so good. I can imagine George Benson or some of the other great jazz guitarists playing this one.
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Feeling and playing the music with your whole soul and body!
  7. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great funky blues, Frank!
  8. John W.
    John W.
    Top class, Frank. Your deft touch brings out the sound quality of both instruments.
  9. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thank You All for the kind words! *** Unfortunately this past Saturday I suffered a serious crushing blow, that needed stitching, to my left ring finger from the first knuckle to the tip. It's bad, there's no way to tell right now how it will heal. But I'm pretty good at healing, lot's of experience, and I'll be OK. Thank you all for your friendships and support!
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Sorry to hear of your awful accident, Frank. I hope you recover completely. remember, Django Reinhardt , after his caravan fire in which he nearly died, had the use of only two fingers of his left hand and still managed to churn out a few tunes and at a fair tempo too! All the best with the recovery, and we will all be wishing you well, I'm certain.
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really sorry to hear that Frank. I really can’t imagine how difficult this must be for you.
    Please let us know when you’ve got more info from the doctors, here’s hoping you’ll be better soon.
  12. John W.
    John W.
    Saaaaddd news Frank! But don’t despair! During the past 5 years I’ve suffered various injuries to fingers on my left hand: 1) simply pushing the duvet behind the mattress and the foot or the bed I bent the end of my first finger back to a disastrous point…result? Mallet finger (google it); 2) Approx 3 years ago I shut an internal door in the house on the same finger…splicing the end, which needed stitching (can I attach pics in these comments?), and 3) around 18 months ago I broke the end of my little finger…at the first knuckle…a knock during a sea kayaking incident. All have recovered to a sufficient degree to still be able to play the mandolin. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
  13. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Just like John I've also suffered various injuries to my hands over the years. The worst one was a cut to my right hand pinky which took a few months to heal. Didn't affect my playing but it woke me up to the possibility of future injury to my other fingers. So I took precautions until... about a month ago I tore my right hand index finger at the first joint. The joint was okay but the skin took about a month to heal and left a pretty good scar which I have been massaging to keep the new skin pliable. Fortunately, it is healed now just in time for a bunch of concerts I am obligated to play this fall.

Frank, the hardest thing to stand for me was not the pain but the inability to play. It got so bad that I tried other combinations of uninjured fingers just so I could hear my mandolin again. After the month was over I was mostly healed and able to play normally again. Whew! The scar is a visual reminder for me to really watch out for my fingers.

Frank, I hope your recover is a swift one. Hang in there! You will be astounding us with you mandolin prowess again and I look forward till then.
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Not sure why my posts seem to get full of typos… must be my age!

Hope to get better news soon Frank.
  15. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Oh, bad news! I wish you a full recovery, Frank. I guess we all fear such accidents.
  16. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thank You All for the support! I was born with Jangos' survival instincts. I have been noodling two finger as Michael suggests, I HAVE to feel the strings under my fingers. It's like an itch that must be scratched. And I didn't have to Google "mallet finger", I did that to my right ring finger a couple years back. Just gettin outta bed. Use your fists! Getting much better! Thanks Again!
  17. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Hope you get healed up quickly, Frank. I've gone through some hand troubles--it's hard not to be able to play.
  18. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    That’s good to hear Frank.