Some news about HonketyHank

1. bbcee
    bbcee
    Hello all,
    Henry asked me to post this for him, so that if you notice he hasn't been contributing to the group, you'll know why.

He had a stroke fairly recently that's left him unable to play, at least for the near term. He was able to write me, so it could have been a lot worse, but he'll still need to go to in-patient rehab to get back up to speed. It's early days, so when I know more, I'll post it here.

In his words, "hot tip -- watch your cholesterol and blood pressure"

Let's wish him a good recovery and a return for more great history lessons soon!
  2. bbcee
    bbcee
    Bump
  3. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Henry,
    I'd noted that you haven't been around as much, as I'm very sorry to hear that this is the reason. Here's hoping you make good progress and get home soon. My thoughts and prayers will be with you.
    Sue
  4. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    Henry,

I am sorry to hear that. I am sending all the love and light I can from the other coast and hoping you will be back joining with us soon.
  5. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    thanks, folks. i'm glad this isn't as bad as some others i know have experienced. i am still checking in here, but posting is a bit of a chore.
  6. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    I am sorry to hear about your issue, Henry, but glad at the same time you are doing better.
  7. angilles
    angilles
    Wishing you a full and speedy recovery, HonketyHank! Listen to those doctors and take care of yourself
  8. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Hank, so sorry to hear this. I'm wishing you the best in your journey and the new challenges. Hope you can find help and support and reach out when you can. You'll be in my prayers tonight
  9. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Well rats, Honkety. Great progress is possible, and I think you are tough enough to make it so, having overcome other health challenges. Peace be with you.
  10. NDO
    NDO
    Prayers are with you, Hank.
    One of my close friends had a stroke about ten years ago… he was back playing violin in the symphony after a year. I’m hoping you’re able to get back to your picking soon!
  11. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    tks again, buds. ndo: that is encouraging indeed. think maybe i'll be able to play violin after the dust settles?

i'll be back. no telling at what skill level, but what the heck, i am still a newbie.
  12. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    Hang tight Hank. Two months ago I was lying in the emergency room when a nurse walked in and told me that I was in kidney failure. I didn't even flinch at the news. The next day I was told that I had made the most incredible 24 hour recovery they had ever seen. 60 days later I feel 10 years younger. I may feel much better - but my mandolin playing is still pretty bad. You can't win them all.
  13. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    moved from acute care to in-patient rehab yesterday. am getting more optimistic. progress is quite evident. mandolin is one of my longterm goals.
  14. NDO
    NDO
    Great to hear, Hank! Don’t give up. There can be some rapid early progress plus some slow but steady progress that continues for years. Never accept the status quo.
  15. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    My husband was in the hospital for two weeks in September, then in rehab for 10 days. The food was much better in rehab!

Happy to hear you are progressing well.
  16. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Henry says he’s decided to take a break from mandolin and work on walking, eating & talking for awhile. His sense of humor is still firmly attached, and I’m sure he’s feeling the love and the prayers from the newbies shack.

Best wishes in all that you do, Henry, you’re one cool dude and a blessing to know.
  17. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Thanks, Mark.

I have been ordered by two therapists to start working on the mandolin immediately. Bev is going to bring in my Lyon and Healy tomorrow. My goal is to play a scale.
  18. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Very cool that your mando will be part of your therapy!
  19. NDO
    NDO
    I like Hank’s version WAY better than Mark’s version! You go for it Hank!
  20. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    That's great! Mandolin should be very productive: doing different things with both hands gets that cross-brain stuff going!
  21. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I had two practice sessions yesterday. I have to say I was very discouraged. Then today my OT lady had me try again. I did much better. But still awful. Maybe tomorrow I can get out of the awful range!

ps: I am very lucky: I look around me at other folks here and most, maybe even all, have had more serious damage than I.
    pps: Projected discharge to home is 11/15.
  22. NDO
    NDO
    Hang in there Hank! Can’t wait to see your next video.
  23. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    My motto is never give up. Keep on keeping on, Hank. You will get there, and your mandolin will help you!
  24. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    https://youtu.be/hi8iKRgpLo4

I recorded this video on November 14, 2022. On November 4, I had a moderate severity stroke. In the 5 days immediately thereafter, in the acute care hospital, I despaired of ever being able to play the mandolin again. On November 8, I was transferred to the rehab ward of the hospital. Therapists there strongly urged me to work on retraining my brain and fingers on a mandolin. much to my surprise, I now believe I will play again after all.
    Thank you to all the staff at the 4K ward at Provident Portland Hospital, Portland, Oregon.

Recorded with my iPhone.
  25. NDO
    NDO
    Hank, that is one of the best things I’ve ever heard. That absolutely made my day/week/month. You absolutely are gonna be back in the saddle/bridge right away. Keep it up!

p.s. I love your Pi shirt, where did you find that?
  26. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    search on amazon for "pi tee shirt'. I am pretty proud.
  27. bbcee
    bbcee
    He’s baaack! Thank God for those therapists!

I’ve no doubt now that you’ll be contributing again before long. Keep it up, you’re patient and tough enough to keep plugging away at your recovery.
  28. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Hey Henry, that is awesome! Super progress and very promising
  29. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    So glad to hear this, Hank.
  30. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Nice tone, fingers look good! You'll be back, none the worse for wear.
  31. angilles
    angilles
    That is fantastic!
  32. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I'm home! This morning I sat down at a real keyboard and discovered I have lost left hand skills there too. Will have do some relearning there.

My wife is watching my every move like a hawk. Can't get away with nothing.

Thanks for all the support.
  33. NDO
    NDO
    That’s great Hank. Home is the best place to be. Hospitals are for sick people. Home is for people on the mend.
  34. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Fantastic Hank!!! You've got this. Keep at it.
  35. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Glad you’re back in your own digs, Henry!
  36. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Great to hear you playing the mando and glad you are back home. Mandos are good therapy for lots of things.
  37. NDO
    NDO
    Hank how’s the therapy going? I hope you’re making progress!
  38. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Coming along, Don. I carry a cane around and pretend to be using it in case the wife is looking. Mando is slower, but still coming along.

Happy Thanksgiving.
  39. bbcee
    bbcee
    Nice blogpost to your fanbase, Henry, good to keep the normal people updated too
  40. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    FYI, my blog is at www.honketyhank.com . All are welcome there.
  41. FredK
    FredK
    Henry, though I don't post often either here or in the Cafe, I do keep vigil regularly. You sound like you're on the right track for recovery. Keep it up.
  42. NDO
    NDO
    It’s been a month and a half now Hank and we’re all thinking of you on the holidays. I hope your recovery is progressing well and you’re getting some good music therapy. Keep going!
  43. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Still serving up a lot of clams but I do plan to post a new video today or tomorrow. Gotta figure out how to do that with all new and different hardware and software (I gave up on Windows a couple months ago, flirted a bit with Linux, now running a Mac).
  44. NDO
    NDO
    Hooray!!