Introduction

1. camper1
    camper1
    Hello all,

Newbie here. I've been lurking for a few months on the site and it's been a great resource!
    I'm "semi retired" at 62 and we live in SW Ohio. I've played guitar off and on (mostly off) since college and have always loved folk/bluegrass music. Picked up a used Kentucky 550 this year and have been learning through youtube and resources on this site. Hoping to pick up the pace and commit more time to practice.

Planning on attending the Pete Wernick beginner jam camp before Merlefest in April this year with my wife who is a beginner at fiddle. Hoping registering for jam camp will give us the incentive to practice more!

I would love to hear any insight on the beginner jam camp if anyone has attended. How was the experience and how best to prepare? We attend Merlefest every year and I've always wanted to do the camp, so taking the plunge this year!

Thanks!
  2. NDO
    NDO
    Welcome!
    I’ve never been to a camp or class so can’t help there, but there are all sorts of great resources available here and online!
  3. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Welcome, camper 1! I went to a Wernick Camp this past September and it was very fun. Everyone was very supportive and kind. Here's the thread about it in the main forum.

It's great that both your wife and you will be going. My biggest challenge was that I knew nobody. I am 64 and have been playing since 2020
  4. camper1
    camper1
    Sue,

Thanks for the link! I feel a lot more comfortable now! Sounds like a very supportive atmosphere and great experience! It will be interesting to see if the Merlefest camp is set up the same way. We will be registering soon and looking forward to the materials they send in advance.
  5. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Welcome to the Newbies group, Camper1! No help on the camps, though.
  6. BadExampleMan
    BadExampleMan
    Welcome Camper1. I've been to the Wernick (slow jam) tent at Grey Fox and attended a 3-day "camp" in Paris last summer. They were very useful and a lot of fun. I've found the bluegrass scene in general to be really supportive and welcoming and I think you'll find the camp has that ethos.
  7. camper1
    camper1
    Thanks everyone and looking forward to learning from the collective knowledge of this group and website!