My tune for December 2022

1. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    As you know, I am recovering from a stroke that has affected my whole left side. My occupational therapist recommended that I use my mandolin as a therapy tool and work on retraining my left hand. The results, so far, are encouraging. I am still slow, I still have plenty of unclear notes, and outright flubs. I even have a few right hand mistakes for which I have no excuse. But this is where I am in my recovery. The video, below, is completely unedited; I embrace my flubs and do-overs as signs of progress.

Over all, though, I look back to six weeks ago when I was ready to say that I would never play again. Now I plan to get back close to where I was pre-stroke. Some day. Probably not before 2023, though. I still have a way to go.

I chose to play this Christmas carol because, well, it IS Christmas and it is pretty simple. And I kind of like that it is one set of lyrics with two entirely different and unrelated tunes. I play both tunes here, the first being perhaps more common in the UK, the second much more common in the USA.

I send my best wishes and hopes to all of you for a Merry Christmas and a safe, healthy, and satisfying 2023.

https://youtu.be/aGG_ujyL0RI

2. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    That's wonderful, Hank. So cool you have an OT who gives you the assignment to play your mandolin. I think we all use our mandolins as therapy tools in one way or another.

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and great New Year. Looking forward to more videos of you to see your progress! Tidings of comfort and joy to you.
  3. NDO
    NDO
    Hank, I can’t stop grinning. You’re baaaaack! And I have zero doubt you’ll catch up to where you were and surpass it. I’m so happy the mandolin is proving to be such an effective therapy (physically and mentally).
    Way to go!
  4. NeoGeo
    NeoGeo
    Thank you for sharing. You’re doing good!
    I pray for a speedy recovery for you, and have a Merry Christmas to you and yours.
    God bless you my friend.
  5. bbcee
    bbcee
    That’s impressive progress in a short time, Henry. Your Jack Benny look after the false start up front had me rolling! I like that you joined the two versions, I’d never heard the British one.
    You’re on the right track, keep it going, and whenever you get frustrated, we’re here for you to vent to. All the best for the holidays in frigid Oregon!
  6. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    That's very substantial progress, Henry, you sound good. You look pretty healthy, too. A bit of a Christmas miracle, I'd say. It's wonderful to see and hear!

I'd never heard the British version, either. Always learning something here. I like the look at the end, "Well, there you have it ..."
  7. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    It’s quite a treat to see you playing again, Henry. I hope you’re enjoying it as much as we are in seeing your progress.

Keep on picking!
  8. Plcmassie
    Plcmassie
    I'm a newbie and you sound great to me, awesome that your able to start playing again. God is so good! Merry Christmas to you!
  9. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Six weeks? That's fabulous progress, Henry! You'll back to where you were eight weeks ago soon enough. Happy holidays to you and Bev.
  10. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I first heard the UK version on a CD by Robin Bullock, "Christmas Eve Is Here", Dancing Wolf Records DWCD-104. I was really taken by the tune and pleasantly surpised when I realized it was those old familiar words she was singing. So I did some research. It turns out that the words started out as a poem, written and published in the US in the 19th century. It was very popular here and was soon published in England where it also became quite a success. The two tunes were composed independently here and in England, each composer being unaware of the other doing the same.

Ms Bullock has a nice, simple, voice that fits nicely with the carols she sings on the CD. Bev and I always include the CD in our playlist during the holidays.
  11. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Great progress Henry! It is so good to see you doing so well!
  12. Lucindalin
    Lucindalin
    This made my holiday season and you are my hero Hank!