Newbie 2022 12/23

1. Plcmassie
    Plcmassie
    I Live in Arrington VA which is just outside of Lynchburg VA. I bought a Washburn F-style mandolin a year and half ago and can't find anyone willing to teach me without charging through the nose. Everyone wants $50.00 for 30 minutes and I'm sorry but that is ridiculous!
    So if anyone wants a student for an hour each week for a reasonable price let me know. You can contact me at harley.noel83@gmail.com I'm 58 and would love to learn how to play and set in a jam session sometime in my life. Thanks!
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Welcome, Picmassie, and thanks for the note on my video. You may have checked Baron Collins-Hill out already, but if not, go to www.mandolessons.com for good, clear, instructional videos. A lot of us started out with his lessons.
  3. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    I dare to say most of us, even.
    I'm signed up to take my second zoom class with Matt Flinner this winter, Rhythm Mandolin. I took Old Time 101 last year. Highly recommended. You've had your mando a year and a half, so I'd guess you wouldn't be in too deep.
  4. BadExampleMan
    BadExampleMan
    In addition to Baron, check out David Benedict, and check out Sharon Gilchrist's beginner's course on Peghead Nation.
  5. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Welcome to the Newbies group, Picmassie. I second the recommendation for Baron Collins-Hill. It is free and very well done. A lot of us have benefited from Baron's desire to teach.
  6. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    Welcome Picmassie

I am just up the road from you in Charlottesville. I am well acquainted with Arrington having been to 7 Lockn festivals there.

There are a number of suggestions given for online lessons. I would also mention that The Front Porch offers in person group lessons on mandolin and other string instruments. I'm a big fan of in-person lessons in general and the Front Porch specifically. I've had some great teachers there. I believe their group lessons are $28 for a 50 minute class, which is about 1/2 the rate you are getting quoted. I think those rates you are getting are a little high, as I've found $50 to be the going rate for an hour person lesson. They also have free jams and there are a number of other free jams in the area as well (including one in Lovington, I think).
  7. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Welcome, Picmassie. I love the idea of a group in-person lesson. I think it would be ideal.
  8. NDO
    NDO
    I’m kind of terrified of the idea of live lessons, individual or group. It would probably be a really good thing for me, but for some reason I find a lesson more intimidating than a live performance.