So where do you live and what do you like?

1. Elliot Luber
    Elliot Luber
    I live on the South Shore of Nassau and enjoy playing a wide variety of styles from classical to bluegrass, blues, rock, folk, Klezmer, etc. (Picked the Montauk photo just because I love Montauk)
  2. LKN2MYIS
    LKN2MYIS
    Out here in Plainview, Long Island. Nassau County by the Suffolk County border.

Like jazz, classical, waltzes, pretty much all stuff with certain exceptions (I don't care for rap, bluegrass, or Irish music).

With a little tweaking and talent, I bet someone could take the map of Long Island and make it look like a 2-pointer . . . . . . . . . .

Currently listening to "Les Gendarmes Du Swing" and "Django's Cadillac". Continuing to work feverishly on Ted's FFCP book. It's great.

I also play golf (a passion) and fly fish for trout. And I travel a lot. My life could be a LOT worse.
  3. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    I currently live in Little Neck, Queens (about a mile from Nassau county), and work in Hauppauge. My musical preferences are for "new acoustic" or "progressive" bluegrass, and classical.
  4. dcdan
    dcdan
    I live on the south shore and in Israel I work in forest Hills. I play violin, clarinet, and all saxes and have worked for many years as a musician. Started Mando this year ,love it and play alot. My left hand is still light years ahead of my right. Love Jazz, and rock and roll. Play classical , rock ,jazz, just getting into bluegrass or anything they put in front of me. Just love music. I could live without neo classical or rap .
  5. Elliot Luber
    Elliot Luber
    LKN2MYIS, You live right out near Bethpage Black! Not a golfer, but I know it well from growing up here.
  6. Elliot Luber
    Elliot Luber
    Dcdan, I started out playing violin. It's amazing how quickly mandolin comes to you. I bought a mando from The Mandolin Store over the Internet four years ago, and when it arrived, and I found out I could play nearly everything I knew on violin the first day, I was amazed.
  7. LKN2MYIS
    LKN2MYIS
    Santiago -

Played the Black many times. It's 1 1/4 miles from my house. REAL tough course.

Out of the 5 18-hole courses at Bethpage, my favorite is still the Red, though.

You never golfed at all? It's as addicting as the mandolin (and fly fishing)!
  8. Elliot Luber
    Elliot Luber
    I've played once or twice. Enjoyed it. Just busy.
  9. LKN2MYIS
    LKN2MYIS
    Golf is 5 hours in a beautiful setting with 3 friends, no phones ringing, and no one asking you to do anything. Very relaxing game.

I usually bicycle over to the Bethpage courses. 3 houses from where I am is Old Bethpage, 2 blocks another way is Bethpage. I'm right by the corner where Old Bethpage, Bethpage, and Plainview meet.

But you're fortunate enough to live near Stillwaters!
  10. Elliot Luber
    Elliot Luber
    Right. My childhood friend lived around the corner from you.
  11. MT_player
    MT_player
    Hi,
    I live in Selden and I work in Westbury as a Band Director. I picked up mandolin about three years ago after becoming inspired the Garcia/Grisman collaborations. I've taken to it very quickly and I enjoy playing a variety of styles including bluegrass, rock, fiddle tunes, and brazilian choros. I'm glad to see there are other mandolin players on the Island since I haven't met very many so far.
    Mike
  12. LKN2MYIS
    LKN2MYIS
    We're around, just few and far between.
  13. Elliot Luber
    Elliot Luber
    So you direct a school band, MT-player?
  14. MT_player
    MT_player
    Yes, I direct an Elementary School Band-flutes, clarinets, trumpets, trombones, saxes, etc. No mandolins, although I've considered trying to get some of our string kids to try out the mandolin-maybe next year.
  15. Elliot Luber
    Elliot Luber
    Cool. I have a warm place in my heart for school music programs.
  16. MT_player
    MT_player
    Me too
  17. Elliot Luber
    Elliot Luber
    I actually run a FaceBook group supporting my school district's music program as a grateful alumnus.
  18. MT_player
    MT_player
    What's the name of the group? I think that's a good idea, maybe I'll start one for my local district
  19. Elliot Luber
    Elliot Luber
    Fans of the Seaford Schools music program.
  20. Brad Maestas
    Brad Maestas
    Chiming in to give my two cents. I am living in Astoria, Queens. I've been here for almost three years. I lived in Brooklyn for five years before that and Manhattan for a few years before that. I got into the mando during college when I was studying music theory and composition with minors in double bass and percussion at the University of Kansas. I played in a group called $2 Shoe Revival Story there. We did some regional touring and did some cool stuff in St. Louis, doing a radio show and performing at the opening of the "Coming Down From The Mountain" film at the Tivoli Theatre. I am an amateur musicologist if that gives you any indication of the range of musics I like. I do have some favorites, however. I am a total nut about Brazilian music. I also really dig stuff from The (British) Isles. There's not a whole lot I don't like. I was formerly 'elmaestro' but I had to create a new account because I couldn't access that email address anymore. In any case, it's nice to meet all you fellow Long Island pickers out there!
  21. Elliot Luber
    Elliot Luber
    Great music. I know Felipe Salles of Five Towns College in Dix Hills, who's an expert on Bassa Nova.