Fits in hard case?

1. NeoGeo
    NeoGeo
    I put a Tone Gard on my mandolin which I really like, but the top of my case stops about 1/2” before needing to press it down more.
    The case has some “spongy” material on the top and bottom, but I’m sure it’s pressing down on the bridge and hence, the top of the mandolin.
    I don’t want to remove it every time I put it away.

I’m just leaving it that way, and not closing it fully for now.
    At least it will protect it and keep the dust off of it.

Do you think there’s a problem putting stress on the top by closing it all the way?
    I do. What do you think?
  2. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    I think you need a new case
  3. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I would feel pretty uneasy about it whether or not it was actually compressing the top significantly.

On the other hand, if it lacks a half inch of closing, that probably means only a quarter inch of compression of the padding, so it might be OK. But like I said, it would still make me wonder. I'd be looking for another case just for peace of mind.
  4. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Is there any way to get at the padding in the case and maybe shave a bit off where it contacts the bridge?
  5. NeoGeo
    NeoGeo
    I don’t think so. I don’t want to squash it in the case. That just can’t be good.
    I’ll take the Tone Gard off when I’m going somewhere, and put it back on once I get there, or leave it in the case with the top just resting on it without fully closing it while I’m at home. I surly don’t want to damage my new Eastman. I have fallen in love with this little thing. I’ve been playing until my fingers hurt, and I’ve been playing my many guitars for years, so I do have callous already, and the set up is good on it. I think I’m just pressing too hard. I’m still getting used to it. I really don’t need to press that hard. It’s a learning experience, and I’m working on that. What a nice thing to play. I should have bought one many years ago. I’ve been playing mostly rock and pop songs.
    Neil Young, Led Zepplin, R.E.M. and others. Also, I’m so happy to have found this wonderful forum. So much information, and a great group of members.
    Happy New Year to all.
    Thanks for your replies.
    George
  6. NDO
    NDO
    Way to go George! I felt the same way when I got my first Eastman!
    My rectangular Eastman hard case for the MD605 fits fine with a tone-gard on btw.
  7. NeoGeo
    NeoGeo
    Mine is an MD505C with the rounded case. Kind if conforms to the mandolin.
    It just won’t close fully, and I’m not going to force it.