New strings today

1. NeoGeo
    NeoGeo
    I’d be lying if I said that it wasn’t a bit scary.
    I’ve changed many, many strings on my guitars, but these are a bit different.
    I went slowly, and stretched along the way. I can see that they need more time to settle in, as the loop ends, especially on the thinner strings are more rounded, and they need to get elongated.
    I put on Curt Mangan 11.5-41 strings just to try. I have no opinion on then yet.
    The strings that came on it were tarnished, compared to the new PB strings, and probably were still good.
    All went well.
    I’ll post again after I see how they compare to the Xl 1140 I think that it came with.
  2. Lucindalin
    Lucindalin
    Congratulations on changing your strings! I still pull up the same Brad Laird video that I have always used when I change my strings (if it has been awhile). I also like the instructions in the Mandolin for Dummies book. I didn't have a guitar strings experience like you do though. For me, it is a big deal and very freeing to have the skill.
  3. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Glad it went well.
    I look at that Brad Laird video as well.
    String changing is intimidating. Don't even get me started on hard to remove tailpiece covers
  4. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Many years ago I played banjo. I don't remember any troubles with string changes back then. Of course that may be an indictment of my memory rather than a comment on the ease of string changes. It may also be due to the fact that I never changed a string unless it actually broke. Anyway, I do hear the difference between old strings and new strings on a mandolin. And I do seem to have at least one frustrating moment just about every time I change strings on a mandolin. I try to keep a small supply of extra E strings on hand. You can get individual strings online. JustStrings.com or StringsAndBeyond.com
  5. NeoGeo
    NeoGeo
    The Eastman that I recently bought doesn’t have a tailpiece cover, so I didn’t need to mess with that.
    I did need to put a curve on the strings to pick them up between the other strings though, and I was also worried about scratching the finish just forward of the tailpiece.
    I went slowly, and changed them one at a time starting with the “G “ string, and worked my way down.
    I’m learning “Going to California” at this time.
    I made it through “Battle of evermore,” but I need to keep tweaking it a bit to get it right.
    This little thing is so much fun. I should have bought it many years ago, but I guess it’s never too late!
  6. NeoGeo
    NeoGeo
    I’m not too impressed with those 11.5-41 strings. I don’t see what the hub bub is all about with heavier strings.
    I’m sure there’s a place for them, but honestly, I can’t tell much of a difference, except a bit harder to press down.
    I can’t wait ti get these off, and put on the EJ74’s.
    They might be the same. Time will tell.
    I think we need to experiment a bit to find out what we like, and what suits our needs.
  7. NDO
    NDO
    I’ve read all sorts of rave reviews about Curt Mangan monels but honestly I prefer the D’Addario monels and Martins on my Morris.
    I did order some of the D’Addario nickel bronze to try since they were BOGO free at Strings and Beyond. Hope I like them, since I got four sets at that price
    I’m sure they’ll sound great on at least one of the herd of mandolins.
  8. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    I have the nickel bronze on my Stad-O-Lin from the last BOGO sale. I like them.

I've also got a medium set to try on the F2, but not sure I'm going to like them as much on an oval hole mando.
  9. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    If you didn't stab yourself with the barbed ends of the strings, drawing copious blood, you're way ahead of me.
  10. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Oh yeah, and if you have any cats, be sure to make sure they can't get the cut off loose ends out of the trash (like my cat did the first time I changed strings).
  11. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    I use the GHS medium lights, but just because those are what are recommended by the maker of my mandolin. Flat tops like a little lighter string. I definitely notice the brightness from replacing the old strings with new, but I don't know how much different kinds/makers would make for me.

I encourage you to learn to intonate your mandolin. I do it every time I change strings. It's not that hard and intonation is one of those things that can escape you as it just changes little by little and can sound fine for a long time but all of the sudden it is way off and a real problem.
  12. BadExampleMan
    BadExampleMan
    My cats - especially the blind one - drive me NUTS when I'm changing strings. They go after the discards and the cut off pieces from the new ones. It does no good to shut the door because the blind one knows how to open doors! (For the same reason we have to keep our front door locked at all times. And that's why he's named Houdini.)

In my experience mandolin strings definitely age out. Oils and schmutz from your fingertips collect on them and alter their acoustics. I imagine there's some metal fatigue involved too, since they're under such high tension.

I've found the D'addario coated strings definitely last longer. I just wish they were easier for me to get.
  13. NeoGeo
    NeoGeo
    Thanks to all-
  14. NeoGeo
    NeoGeo
    I took off the heavy Curt Mangan strings. I couldn’t wait to get them off. They might be wonderful for some people or a certain Mandolin, but even though I have callousness from playing guitar for many years, these were a bit too much for me.
    I didn’t notice much sound difference.
    I put on EJ74 strings, and I couldn’t be happier. I have a set of LaBella 770L to try next time, and a set of A260 strings.
    You will never know unless you try things, right?
    So far, I’m very happy with the EJ74’s, and it’s probably why most people use them. There must be a reason why.
    I’ll try the light strings next, and I’m excited to try the LaBella silver plated ones. I thought they were medium light, but they say light.
    We will see.
  15. JeffLearman
    JeffLearman
    > Don't even get me started on hard to remove tailpiece covers

I made my mando from a kit, and some of the hardware isn't exactly top drawer. The first time I went to put on the tailpiece cover, I could tell it'd be a real tough job taking it off. So, it sits in the pouch in my case. I don't want to risk breaking my mando while trying to get that damn thing off! Nobody's ever mentioned it.
  16. JeffLearman
    JeffLearman
    I think you'll be happy with the EJ74's. I wish I could use them, but I must have made my top too thin; it can't quite take them so I use a lighter set.

Another reason I wish I could use EJ74's is you can get them coated. I haven't used the D'Addario coated strings, but on acoustic guitar I use Elixir Nanowebs, and they save a LOT of money because they last well over 4 times as long. On mando I'd want coated strings even more (since re-stringing a mando is more work, and not just 8/6 times as much.) I'm due for a restringing, and I think I'll spray some WD40 on them this time!

Regarding heavier strings: they really can sound better, but they're much more demanding on the setup. If you ever take your mando to a good luthier for a setup (and I recommend doing that every now and then), consider asking them about setting up for heavier strings. A good luthier will let you know if it's a bad idea for that particular instrument, and if not, they can set it up for them and should be a lot easier to fret. You can ask to set up for either gauge, and then tell them (or give them) whatever you want on when done.