Why There Are No Signed Strad-O-Lins

1. Bill Drellow
    Bill Drellow
    Mike Edgerton has explained in several threads that SOL pegheads weren't always drilled carefully, and that the binding of posts on the walls of holes is a frequent cause of tuner-tuning issues. Some have replied that they have addressed the issue by drilling the holes out larger. In my case, those would have had to be big honkin' holes. I posted a photo on the social group landing page (I hope) of dowel pins in mine prior to trimming flush. I'll redrill the peghead when the StewMac jig I ordered gets here.
  2. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    I'm almost positive after seeing Bill's picture that this is the issue with mine. I've been told the tuners are "crap tuners" because there is no screw holding the post to the gear and there is too much play that can't be adjusted for. But in the back of my mind, I wonder if the holes were fixed if the problem would go away, or if there would still be issues and I should bite the bullet and change the tuners as well as fix the holes like Bill is doing.
  3. Denis Kearns
    Denis Kearns
    The tuners on my two-pointer were still too tight, even after I completely disassembled, cleaned with naphtha, and lubricated them. I replaced them with a set of Rubners, which fit in the original holes and work great. Also look quite snazzy. I’m thinking that my originals were just not very good.