Hair-Lipped Susie

1. Malk
    Malk
    I like the tune but not sure the title is to today's tastes. Found this on Nigel Gatherer's old time collection who in turn sourced it from concertina player Steve Turner's 1982 Album jigging one now. I guess it should be played faster as well as better

2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice, steady playing, Malcolm.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Much more left hand fluency in this one, Malcolm and you are maintaining a much steadier rhythm. Still very much using upstrokes, but it seems to be working for you.
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    It's coming together, Malcom. What John said.
    Don't know what the taste problem with the name might be - whatever Susie was would probably march in a CSD parade today (I'm not walking out on a limb here without a gynecologist's certificate).
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Excellent steady rhythm Malk, really good progress. Amazing in fact.

And nice, though quite sad choice of tune, the Hare-lipped Sucker had become extinct by 1881.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harelip_sucker

The Skillet Lickers (who would have appreciated this fish in a dish) recorded the tune in the 1930’s but I couldn’t find it on YouTube, and then tunearch.org has a slightly different setting.
  6. Malk
    Malk
    I think fish are often delicious but not sure ostensibly naming a tune after a girl (or anyone identifying as a she or even a he) with a cleft pallet is quite so tasty today. Or maybe its me . I’m reining back a little attempts to be more down than up. It seems to be what I do naturally from finger picking on the jumping flea (and well I’ve a habitually upbeat temperament anyway . )
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I think it may be the other way around:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Ok... I've walked out on a limb after all, and it broke on spelling. Apparently, it's Hare-Lipped, not Hair-Lipped.
  9. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Malcolm, just to echo the other comments, I think this is the best you have posted. You have always got a nice sound from the instrument, but you are now doing it to a much more consistent rhythm.

By the way, you could just call the tune something else. Who is to say what the correct name is (as I am discovering)?
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    The issue here Richard is that once the title has been written for each thread, it (apparently) cant be changed.
    So occasionally there is a spelling error and our collective response is, ‘well… whatever…’
    This tends to make our group a little bit cool!

Also it’s generally accepted that these tunes travel quite a lot and end up with different titles, for many reasons. Titles which are given by the different people in different regions. There actually was a thread on TheSession.org where they were looking for the tune that had the most titles. And some posters were talking about wether a tune was one, two or even three different other tunes.
    Another thing is that I write (and many others do too) to include the lurkers, and make the group interesting for them too. Hence my fondness for posting TAB, notation and other links of sources etc. It’s a bit academic but I like the idea of not been allowed to say, ‘I found it on a particular site… There has to be a link to the site otherwise it doesn’t exist
  11. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Simon, I wasn't really thinking about hair v hare, or indeed changing the title of the thread at all. I was making a (semi-facetious) point that since so many of these tunes have multiple titles, why not just change one that is not acceptable, for whatever reason? I think we must be in agreement on this, from what you write. The title is just a label we attach to identify a tune - there is almost nothing about the tune that is inherent to the title (or vice versa). This rather good tune acquired a somewhat offensive label (in circumstances that one can only imagine), so why not call it something else?

There are plenty of precedents. The Scots had a good tune called Bonnie Charlie that the English decided to call William of Orange (presumably just to troll the Scots). The Irish were the winners because they took the tune and called it King of the Fairies. (Now sometimes known as King of the Ferries).

The big problem comes on the rare occasions when the tune itself is deemed offensive - I am thinking of Garryowen, which the Sioux nation heartily disapproves of because of its association with their genocide.

As an ex-lurker, I really appreciate your practice of providing tabs or links (also others here, such as Martin and Christian, who do something similar). This helped me enormously over the past year as I was beginning the mandolin and I have used your links since joining the group too. I think this sharing is part of what makes the group so attractive.
  12. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Best one yet, Malcolm! You're building up impressive speed, but most importantly the rhythm is really making a lot of progress.