The Lovat Scouts

1. Malk
    Malk
    A quickstep from J S Skinner fitted I think into the structure of a pipe march? Named for the army unit established by Lord Lovat in the Boer war, it recruited and utilised the skills of highland gamekeepers, stalkers and gamekeepers. Thankfully not a strathspey .

Skinner, a man with a glorious moustache, was thought habitually a snappy (highland) dresser when performing. Now that kind of snappy I could perhaps emulate .

2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A great tune, and one of a series Skinner composed for various Scottish Regiments. It is a tune I feel a particular affinity with, Malcolm, as I had an uncle who served in the Lovat Scouts during the First World War. He was indeed a professional stalker and gamekeeper on a couple of highland estates.

You might want to have a listen to Skinner's The Cameron Highlanders - another cracking march. Steady progress in your playing noted.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Malcolm, you inspired me to record this one when I heard your version earlier. I have used my octave as I find it has more sustain, and I have played the tune at a fairly easy pace. My version has all four parts, though the tune is regularly just played as a two-parter, the four parts being the norm for competition playing. Backing is acoustic guitar.

4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Happy tune, and marchable (that is I can march to John's version, not to Malcolm's - but that is coming along, I suppose). Emulating famous persons by facial hair is something I can relate to, though.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Wonderfully joyful, I can just imagine the primal emotions that this tune would provoke in the minds of these simple, perhaps confused and misdirected individuals as they left their land.
    They all returned as heros of Empire.
  6. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Well done, both. John, I had only known the two parts, but the additional parts do take the piece to another level. I liked the guitar accompaniment too.

But shouldn't a regiment of trackers and sharpshooters have a tune that is a little more stealthy? You'd certainly hear them coming if they playing this.

The Victorians did love their moustaches, Malcolm. My American stepson can identify all nineteenth century presidents by their facial hair alone. Just check out Chester Arthur. Scott Skinner is more in the William H. Taft mould.
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    A lady guide in Dunvegan castle in Skye once pointed out to me that my beard is Edwardian. But the real target person for me is Capt. Edward John Smith - I'll rub a ship with an iceberg hands down...
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, all. Richard, I was working from an actual bagpipe score complete with the embellishments for the pipers. I use pipe scores a lot and then when I play with my fiddler friends I have to remember to sharpen the G notes in many of the tunes.

Simon, if only they had all returned as heroes of Empire. So many never returned from the many conflicts they found themselves in.

Bertram, I would have said your beard was more Bertramian than Edwardian!
  9. Malk
    Malk
    Richard, I myself do prefer myself the Taft/Skinner style of facial hirsute fashion but my other half is not a fan of such extravagant ‘wings’ so I’m more Grover Cleveland.
  10. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Malcolm, I think the Cleveland look is still very fine. (And incidentally we pray that Cleveland retains his record as the only person to be president for two non-consecutive terms.) For myself, also for reasons of spousal pressure, I am a mere Ulysses S. Grant. Actually, more of a William T. Sherman, though he wasn't a president - I particularly like his permanent just-got-out-of-bed look.