Apples in Winter (Quick Time)

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I found this in Kerr’s Merry Melodies, vol. 1. p.24 (c. 1880’s)
    There is also the jig by the same name: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...037&do=discuss

I practiced this tune for a while and when recording time arrived I decided to polka it.
    (for Bertram).

https://youtu.be/NLVwiSNnVDc
  2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Sorry about the double thread post…
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I feel honored, but due to my polka allergy, I barely survived the anaphylactic shock
    What is more interesting, however, is your right hand, apparently pivoting on a shaft mounted inside the instrument, never moving the sleeve
  4. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    I really enjoyed this, Simon. The backing track added to the atmosphere.

I had the same thought, Bertram. Along with the strange angle of the camera, the whole thing was very disorienting.
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I like Bertram a lot. But I also like polkas a lot. So now I'm in what Heider's balance theory would call an unbalanced situation, which needs resolution somehow. Let me think about it. Who's up for persuading Bertram to do a version of this?

Seriously, I really enjoy this tune. Your famous built-in metronome is serving you well. When the accompaniment comes in, it creates an excellent groove, which carries the tune along so well that it seems to end too soon! How did you do the backing, by the way?
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Gents! Much obliged.
    It's red light stress Bertram, as soon as I start recording then my elbow seizes up.
    Yes, I love this backing track! The bodhran is a pre-recorded polka track. I love the deep textures in it, and though I am sure I could Record my own, I simply have too many tunes to record. It's about 1200 tunes printed out now. I actually no longer print new tunes, I just put them into a folder on my iPad and then play them through 4 or 5 times each.

One interesting thing about backing tracks that I have found is that if you play say a guitar, and you strum it gently with a poor rhythm while staying behind the beat then it sounds great the second time through when you come in louder and firmly on the beat.

(I made a mistake with this one, Dennis, using the wrong mandolin take! The other one had a little less swing)