Jägerchor (from "Der Freischütz", C.M. von Weber)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is an unaccompanied solo mandolin version of the famous Jägerchor (Huntsman's Chorus) from Weber's opera "Der Freischütz". This setting is an etude from a vintage German mandolin tutor, "Eine kleine Mandolinen-Schule" by A. Alberto, in this case the 1929 edition.

This mandolin and the Alberto book have a close personal connection to me: both were bought together sometime around 1940 by my grandfather, and they then came down to my mother and then to me. So, there is a good likelihood that both of them would have played this very piece on this mandolin.

There is an old Cafe discussion of this book here (Alex Timmerman providing much useful background), which includes scans of the Jägerchor etude:

Page 1
    Page 2

1920s/30s "Majestic" mandolin (solo)

https://youtu.be/Mm2g1TFxums

Martin
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A clever interpretation, Martin. I like the phrasing which in places reminds me of bugle calls or the huntsmen's horns, and I really enjoyed the way you created that effect of the huntsmen fading into the distance by your easing off on the volume.
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very interesting performance Martin, I agree with John and I like your clever use of volume to create musical suspense.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John and Simon. The onomatopoetic imitation of hunting horns is very much part of Weber's original piece. The fading effect is indicated on the score in the Alberto book and as you say is a nice evocation of the hunters riding off into the distance, but I think that was Alberto's idea more than Weber's as I don't see it in Youtube clips of the choir as performed in the opera. Here is a nice video, excerpted from the 2010 movie adaptation of Der Freischütz. Not sure what Napoleon is doing in the scene as I don't think he appears in the opera. They take the chorus a bit faster than most (including me):

https://youtu.be/qH4e6SBzQMk

Martin
  5. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    This is a lot of fun, Martin, and I echo the other comments about your use of volume. The history of the mandolin and its attachment to particular pieces of music is fascinating.
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Yes, not everybody is lucky to inherit playable and good sounding instruments from their ancestors.
    Your performance of the Jägerchor sounds great, Martin.