Tusen Sjörs Vals

1. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I found this tune in Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni's 2015 Winter's Tale.
    I first tried it as as mandolin trio, but that sounded a bit thin, so I replaced the harmony mandolin with guitar chords.
  2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, Christian! I also recorded Evelyn's arrangement back in 2016, playing all three of her voices on different mandolins. We have the tune in our repertoire folder but haven't played it in a while. Must dig it out again as it's a lovely tune.

This is one of the very few recordings I have made with my French "Gelas" type double top mandolin, playing the lead melody. Harmonies on Embergher and Gibson. Three very different mandolins indeed.

René Gérôme "Gelas" mandolin
    1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin
    1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/M_nHkgkjw7s

Martin
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Lovely tune and playing Gents! Very nice images too.
    Would love to join you, but I have a moratorium on new waltzes at the moment so it will have to wait.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    A good sounding recording in your stile, Christian.
    Interesting comparison with Martins trio version.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely arrangement and playing, Christian. I like the change from harmony mandolin to guitar, but then I have a bias towards guitars! As Frithjof says, an interesting comparison between your version and Martin's 2016 recording where he uses strummed chords on the tenor rather than the arpeggios you are using in your arrangement.
  6. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thanks Christian, once again, for introducing me to a lovely Nordic waltz. Both versions are really well played and the contrast is interesting. I too have a mandolin/guitar bias, of course, but I was also struck by the slightly more elegaic quality to Christian's, compared to the somewhat more cheery version by Martin. Great stuff, both.