Bryan O’Lynn

1. John W.
    John W.

I recently inadvertently jumped into the world of vintage mandolins…it’s a long story, but I’ve ended up with this Vega Cylinderback, made around 1919. It needs a bit of work (esp. fret replacement), but I’ve cleaned it up, fitted a new bridge (at least temporarily), and set it up so that it’s playable. Still experimenting with string gauges/types…
  2. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Nice recording, your Vega sounds really good.
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very enjoyable tune, and great tone on your Vega John. Did you add any reverb on this? And a bit of bass?
    Nice to hear you playing!
  4. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    NICE! Very pretty solo performance John. And, bonus, I get to here a very interesting and somewhat rare mandolin. Keep'n the spirit alive!!!
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Sounds great, John! Looking forward to hear this instrument more often.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What an acquisition, John. Great sound and I hope you have a lot of fun with it. It is already at home in your hands, I reckon. Fine playing too!
  7. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    One of my favourites, beautifully played. And what a gorgeous tone.
  8. John W.
    John W.
    Thank you dustyamps, Simon, Frank, Frithjof, John K and Richard for positive comments re the instrument, playing and the tune.

Simon, I shall try to attach a photo/provide a link to a photo re the settings used in GarageBand…i.e. v little reverb and no bass…

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0aag...T4aSg3tEs2M1Zw
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    The mandolin, your playing, and the tune are all very fine. You're lucky to have found this instrument, and it's lucky to have been found by you.
  10. John W.
    John W.
    Thank you Dennis…I have no doubt that the mando would be in good hands if played by many of the cafe contributors.
  11. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    I do love this one, which was on my to-post list and got pushed up by John's excellent version. Here's mine.

It is not widely known that the original Brian O'Lynn (or Bryan O'Lynn, Bryan O'Linn, or Brian O'Linn) was a noted plant-breeder,* so I have used this as an excuse to include pictures of hybridized hellebores from my garden.

* Please note the date of this post.
  12. John W.
    John W.
    Ah, yes…a well-known plant breeder indeed… Happy 1st of (this) month.
  13. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thanks, John. And a happy second to you.
  14. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Richard, yours is a fine version, too. This jig goes on my pile of sheet music…
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine playing Richard, nice flow.
  16. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    tis a favourite of mine as well, two lovely versions here , well played. i think its the only tune i know where i play a f natural on the e string.
  17. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thanks Lawrence. There's a discussion over at The Session about how Liam O'Flynn played those as sharps, but I'm pretty sure that in the live Planxty version I have they are naturals.
  18. John W.
    John W.
    Thanks Lawrence (I’ve listened to and enjoyed a version of yours on YT).
  19. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Great tune played great!!
  20. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thanks, Frank.
  21. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    John's Vega sounds great in his hands, nice solo performance!
    Richard's flowery guitar/mandolin duet really lifts my spirits!
  22. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    John, you really scored on the Vega cylinderback. What great tone you get from it! Really fine arrangement, Richard.
  23. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Richard, missed this one the last couple of days. Another fine delivery from you and a great sound.
  24. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you, John. It can be difficult to keep up - sign of a healthy group.
  25. John W.
    John W.
    Thank you Christian and Don…I’m still getting to know the instrument…
  26. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I recorded my own version. Afterwards I found some funny lyrics and included them in my video.

https://youtu.be/g3oOeUWLg7w
  27. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Frithjof. I am impressed that you maintained your deadpan expression throughout even with the lyrics on display.
  28. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That's my deadpan humour.
  29. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    My favorite mandolin shines brightly in your hands, Frithjof!
  30. John W.
    John W.
    Nice one, Frithjof…I challenge you to sing the lyrics whilst playing the tune AND keeping a dead pan face
  31. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine playing Frithjof, and nice sense of humour!

I can sing while playing.
    And I can't tell jokes while I'm not playing.
  32. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Great find, Frithjof. I had never imagined Brian O'Lynn that way and it certainly casts the tune in a different light. Great playing, too.
  33. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for all your comments!
  34. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Missed out on this. That Vega Cylinderback makes me wonder how you make scratches between the strings .
    Richard's chord accompaniment wins the day.
    Frithjof's lyrics win the night
  35. Frithjof
    Frithjof
  36. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thanks Bertram.
  37. John W.
    John W.
    Yes, Bertram…it’s an area of wear and tear that suggests some very heavy handed picking and chord strumming… I am asking myself: were the strings very, very low during a period when someone was playing it?
  38. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    My theory goes like this, John W: somebody tried very hard to get a tone out of this until he realized that it might help to put strings on it