2 Francs' Worth (Andy Hornby, Lancaster)

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ok so I put in the apostrophe myself, is that legal?
    Also this is an example of a tune I didn't post because I thought the title might be taken to mean something.

https://youtu.be/WGbq-o-taMg
  2. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    A lawyer writes: it is legal, provided that you put it in the right place. Otherwise the punctuation police will have you banged up as quickly as a republican at a coronation. In your case, you have put it in the right place once and the wrong place once, so it will depend what side of the bed they got out of this morning.

This is a really nice tune, Simon, played with your customary lively verve. This is one that really needs the octave, I think - a regular mandolin wouldn't do it justice.
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Richard, I love this tune. Given it an exciting flying-car thumbnail rather than the boring butterflies in the vid.
    Lots of light regular rain here this spring by the way, so the fields are packed full of butterfly food.
    Will take some better vids of them later.
  4. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's a jolly tune, and I enjoyed the butterfly video! Again, I'd say that this one really suits your rhythm and pulse. You've obviously honed your technique to a point where what you feel is what ends up being played.

People get apostrophes wrong in all languages I know. This suggests that there's perhaps no intuitive way about them and they just have to be learnt. Some people will be more successful at this than others.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great wee tune, Simon. I like the juxtaposing of the jaunty tune and the elegance of the butterfly's flight. You are getting a very good sound in your recordings and the reverb adds something to the overall sound without being too present.

Note, only one apostrophe used in this response. That's the teacher of English coming out in me (woops, now there are two).
  6. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Dennis, you are more of a linguist than I am, but I'm sure you are right about apostrophes. It's and its is a permanent trap for the unwary. They could probably be dispensed with entirely with no loss of understanding (unlike other punctuation marks).
  7. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Is this video slowed down? The butterflies' wings move so slowly, I doubt it would keep them in the air.
    But the tempo of the music is right, fine playing as usual, Simon!
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Gents you are too kind.
    I did of course debate the wildly different feelings of the image and sound but also wondered what it would be like to just do it anyway.
    And in order to balance it out I did consider including the audio from the butterflies video too...

Oh I meant legal about the apostrophe. The source notation that I found had no apostrophe, now I add one, and if the tune is owned by someone and I make changes and publish a copy that's radically different (a title is important to some), then is that illegal? What if the tune is trad with no author to defend it's rights
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Re the apostrophe and its legal strength - the possessive "its" paradoxically does not have an apostrophe though it signifies possession. The apostrophe is used only in the abbreviation for "it is", so "it's" should be "its" in the final three words of your last sentence, Simon. Sorry - been retired for twenty years but old habits die hard.
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Oooooh nooo, it's irregular! And I've been making it regular for years!
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    ‘n’ Christian it’s not that its wings ‘re slow, it’s ‘ I’ve used a frame rate o’ 240 fps. instead of 24 or 30 fps.
    If you play my vid’ back at 24 fps. then it’ll show its wings 10 times slower.
    The next hot morning we have I’ll go get me some good vids of slow-motion butterflies.

By the way: many insects have eyes with a much higher effective frame rate than ourselves. And because signals can’t travel along animal nerve fibres fast enough they have ‘thinking’ processes that don’t include the long distance to their brain’s decision making centres.
    My favourite example of this is that a fly often takes off without knowing why. The eyes register a fly swat and the nerve signals go directly to the wing muscles.
    I’ve always thought that it must be strange to be in the air, flying away before you know why.
  12. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Someone upthread: "It's and its is a permanent trap for the unwary."

"a fly often takes off without knowing why." I constantly go into rooms without knowing why. Is this a sign of my superiority, do you think?
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I sometimes eat a meal without thinking about the ingredients.