Do you look at the fretboard...?

1. AZStu
    AZStu
    Do you look at the fretboard when doing FFcP exercises? I normally do, but this morning when I was doing the scales, I didn't. It almost seemed like there was a closer link between my brain and the patterns that avoided visual processing except mental visualization.

Any thoughts?
  2. Mandophyte
    Mandophyte
    AZStu,
    I'm sure this what Ted intends us to discover, I had the same experience myself.
    I wonder how long it would have taken without Ted's good work?

Ted,
    Good to see the news that your going to some more work on FFcP. Please keep up the good work!

John
  3. Ted Eschliman
    Ted Eschliman
    I'll confess I do glance at the neck (side) dots, not fingerboard, as this would give a short guy like me horrible posture while playing. However, I don't look at them while I'm in 1st Position (1st-7th frets). I do occassionaly sneak a peak while I'm moving from FFcP to FFcP up the fingerboard. My personal goal though is to wean myself from this crutch. I'm getting to the point where I only need to do this when I first start playing.

Always a work in progress...
  4. hank
    hank
    This is something I need to work on. Unfortunately I still miss positions even when I'm looking especially when moving up the neck with double stops that spacing shifts between the two adjacent strings. ex. E A strings 2 5, 3 7, 5 9. A D strings 2 5, 4 7, 5 9. Do you just stop looking and keep trying until you stop missing the intervals? (FFcP content: as your preparing for the next FFcP app.) I have some hand and arm numbness that keeping my head up would help.
  5. Ryan Zerby
    Ryan Zerby
    This is reviving an old thread, I know. I try not to look at the fretboard. I find that I'll start to use the dots as absolute reference points if I look... I don't think "up a third" or "up four frets".. I'll end up thinking "at the dot" or "5th fret". If I'm not looking, I have a much easier time playing relative to the chosen root.