New to me Strad-O-Lin

1. powelu
    powelu
    Hello, I'm new to the world of mandolins. I've been playing the fiddle for the last few years, but I was given an old Strad-O-Lin mandolin from my grandfather. I've been playing it, and I've really been enjoying it a lot, I now know why you guys love these things so much. I've uploaded some pictures of it on the Strad-O-Lin main album. I'm curious on everyone's input on this instrument (quality, authenticity, etc.) because I really do not know much about this instrument. Either way, it sounds good to me, and I will continue to play, perhaps get a couple lessons as well.
  2. Bruce Clausen
    Bruce Clausen
    As a fiddle player naturally you always wanted a real Strad, and now you've got one! Looks like it's lived a little, but should be fine for another 50 years. Did someone have a pick-up on it? (The cutout on the fingerrest could have been to fit one.) It's a little different from anything else in the gallery, but not radically. 1950's, maybe? Are we seeing grain lines of the top wood in the end shot, or is that binding? Enjoy your Strad!
  3. powelu
    powelu
    I've been away from the computer quite a bit lately, I'm not sure if it ever had a pick-up on it or not. I was showing the binding on the end, but it also shows the grain lines. Thanks! I'm in the process of trying to find an instructor to help me get into the correct habits with playing this instrument. Does anyone know of a mandolin instructor in the northern Delaware region?
  4. bluesmandolinman
    bluesmandolinman
    you can check the instructor list to see if someone is in your area :

http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/...nstructors.cgi