Campbell's Farewell to Red Gap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Eddie Sheehy
    Since it fell off the list I thought I'd throw it out there...

2. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Good stuff Eddie. I like the Dean.
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I voted for it often enough I figured I'd better learn it. Campbell's Farewell to Red Gap played on my Weber octar.

4. Eddie Sheehy
    Good stuff David.
  5. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    I love this tune. It's the one that started me picking mando and the first one I learned.
  6. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Nice picking David. You can really hear the sustain on the Octar at the end of the video.
  7. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Hey David, I don't know how you get these tunes up to speed on the octave. Great job. This is another tune I learned from the Norman Blake Old Time Mandolin DVD. You too, Eddie? It sure is fun to play on the octave, even at my slow pace. All these tunes become brand new again on the octave.

8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I hope to be back in the swing of playing and recording by next week.... I play this tune, paired with Little Beggerman (Red Haired Boy) on my tenor banjo...... Don, great sounding OM.... I like it this speed....
  9. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Another on the must learn list. Don and Dave.....those octaves sound great. I like the contrast in tempos.
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    You guys are killing me with the octave instruments - lovely version there, Don.

I just have to keep telling myself "you don't need an OM, you don't need an OM, you don't need an OM...."
  11. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Resistance is futile Jill!
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Jill, you need an OM, you need an OM.....
  13. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Fun tune, everyone, and nicely played.

Jill, I have the same temptation with a CBOM. Maybe we need to form an OMAS recovery group...
  14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Dana, you need a CBOM, you need a CBOM!
  15. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Barbara, Maybe I do, although an oval hole mando is calling me in the distance. Still, most OM's have oval holes...
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    You got it.... get an OM with an oval hole, I can surely recommend Wm. Petersen's OM's!
  17. Susanne
    Susanne
    Oh my, Don's OM is awesome. Very nice versions of this tune.
  18. Susanne
    Susanne
    This is my version on the mandolin.

After hearing the CBOM recordings, I'm sooo tempted to try this on the bouzouki. It will be the first time I play melody on that thing.
  19. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Lovely version, Susi, it's got a great feel to it.
  20. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff, Susi!
  21. Susanne
    Susanne
    The very quick end was because I accidentally played an extra B part
    I tried it on the zouk last night, but with very little success. I was in a very bad shape last night after my flu shot (fever and aching all over the place) so maybe now feeling new and fresh I could do it. I haven't given up completely yet anyway... tunes like this are so nice on bouzouki and the likes.
  22. Susanne
    Susanne
    I couldn't help it. Had to try it again This is my premiere on the bouzouki... it's my lovely Joe Foley that I bought in Ireland. I bought it from Gerry McKee (I got to know his brother who also plays the zouk and who plays in my favourite pub in Cork almost every day), this bouzouki actually appears in his CD-rom bouzouki tutor that you can buy on Mad for Trad

I realize why there are so few women who play the bouzouki. It's definitely not a lady instrument, especially not this particular one. But the sound is gorgeous, I've decided to maybe buy a better concertina so I can't buy an octave mando as well

I recorded the intro and then messed up, and I hear that the tempo isn't in sync. A sad proof that I still speed up quite a bit when playing on my own.

23. Dukaine
    Dukaine
    The zouk sounds great. You make it a "lady instrument."
  24. Susanne
    Susanne
    I've played several different bouzoukis just out of curiosity but only found one that was somewhat in the same class as this one. Oh, I forgot to mention that the reason it isn't a lady instrument is that it is TOO BIG. At least for tiny ladies like me
  25. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    That Foley sounds the business! I played a Foley OM in a shop last month - it was very lovely, and very out of my price range!
  26. Susanne
    Susanne
    Yeah, they do cost I bought it used and got a very good price, but in a shop it would cost waaay too much.
  27. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    Thanks to Norman Blake's instruction tape for this one. It's a neat tune.
    Tom

28. Susanne
    Susanne
    Very nice version, and very nicely played, Tom!!!! On what Norman CD do I find this?? I thought I'd heard most of his stuff.
  29. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    It's a Homespun video instruction tape or DVD called "The Mandolin of Norman Blake". The songs are John Brown's March, Campbell's Farewell to Red Gap, The Hollow Poplar, Father's Hall, The Little Fair Child, Jack Danielson's Reel, Green Castle Hornpipe, Mandolin Fanfare and Blake's March. I have not gone through it all yet, but like what I have.
  30. Susanne
    Susanne
    Oh, is it on the tutor. I've been tempted to buy it a couple of times. I like everything Norman Blake. He's a big hero to me!!! I can imagine there's some good stuff on that DVD!
  31. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Does anyone have the ABC's, or even tab for this? Thanks

Never mind, I found it at Mandozine: Campbell's Farewell to Red Gap
  32. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Your playing on the Foley sounds great Susi! I'm glad you recorded a video on it.

Tom, I like the version you're playing there. I guess have to add this one to my list of tunes to learn even though I'm falling WAY behind.
  33. Susanne
    Susanne
    Keith: I'll have to do more of that!!! I play too little bouzouki!!
  34. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Another wonderful tune! One I have been meaning to learn for a long time -- now I have a reason to do so. Thanks for putting this one up Eddie!

Inspiring to hear is on the lower pitched instruments -- octaves and the 'zouik
    Kudos to David, Don and Susi and a fine mando version by Tom. I am on it now and I'm thinking I'll post on the 'dola.... soon as I learn it.

BTW I did create a .tef file for the mando -- if there is any interest in it I will post on my blog page -- but be sure to kill the sound on the bass -- I have that in the wrong key for some reason??????

Question -- probably asked before. What is an octar? Is it essentially an 8 string tenor guitar?
  35. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Bernie, an octar is an octave mandolin on an arched top guitar body. It's a marketing name Weber uses to differentiate between their octave mandolins with mandolin bodies and their octave mandolins with guitar bodies. It's interesting to note that no one differentiates between a mandocello with a mandolin body and a mandocello with a guitar body.
  36. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    "It's interesting to note that no one differentiates between a mandocello with a mandolin body and a mandocello with a guitar body."

Its Lloyd Loar's fault! We he converted the L-5 to a K-5 he decided to call it a mandocello instead of a guitar-cello (or cellotar?) -- anyway I guess he set the standard. I think it is interesting that Weber decided to build both insturments with 4 courses and the same tuning.
  37. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Am getting the recording bug! Noticed this tune here and remembered I had a version on computer, so a swift pose in front of the camera and here is another version, in Scottish style, of "Campbell's Farewell to Redcastle". Note title we use over here, and no doubt there are others. The instruments are mandolin, octave mandolin (both my own builds) guitar and bass and all recorded on the laptop using Reaper.
  38. Daci
    Daci
    I really love this one! It sounds really nice coupled with Greenwoodside.
  39. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    Well, I decided (for some reason) that this would be the song I would try to multi track on. I did this in iMovie and garageband. Tweaked it a few times, and finally finished. Not as polished as I would like, and I have an odd video delay and a few phantom feedback sounds. That said... it was my first attempt that mostly worked.

BTW, the only real instrument is the mandolin (lead and chord chops). The rest I played on the keyboard as virtual instruments. That part was kinda funny.

40. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Congratulations on your multi-track endeavors. Nice mandolin playing as well.
  41. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is Steve Jeter's video; he posted it in it's own discussion on Oct 4, 2010

42. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    I really love this so I had a bash......

Here's the abc for it......

X:14
    T:Campbell's Farewell to Redcastle
    T:Scottish 2/4 March
    T:Mandolin Self Help Group 28/02/10
    M:2/4
    L:1/8
    R:March
    K:A
    e|:"A"A>B cd | ea e>d | cA AB/c/ | "G"d>B =GB |
    "A"A>B cd | ea e>d | "A"cB/A/ "G"=GB |1 "A"A2 Ae :|2 "A"A2 A=g/>f/ ||
    |: "A"ea a=g/f/ | ea e>d | cA AB/c/ |1 "G"d>B =G=g/f/ |"A" ea a=g/f/ |
    ea ed | "A"cB/A/ "G"=GB | "A"A2 A=g/>f/
    :|2 "G"d>B =GB | "A"A/B/c/d/ c/d/e/f/ | e/f/g/a/ e>d | "A"cB/A/ "G"=GB | "A"A2 A2 ||
  43. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    I really like this tune. Not sure why it was in the Week #119 poll, since we've already done it.

44. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great stuff Martin, Red Gap or Redcastle, it still sounds great.....
  45. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Thanks Tosh! This tune defintely wormed it's way into my top ten favs.
  46. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    There have been other tunes that had a run as "other tunes" and then as tune of the week. The official tunes of the week seem to get more participation. If I had realized this had already been covered, I probably wouldn't have included it. However, with the number of tunes we have here now, and my time limitations this summer, I just quickly pick the tunes for the polls from the list of suggested tunes and try to have a variety of genre to choose from.
  47. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Perfectly understandable Barbara! And you are doing an awesome job! You are the heart and soul of SAW. ♪♫♥♥♥♫♪
  48. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Okay, surfing YouTube this morning I discovered that this tune is also very similar to Bonaparte Crossing the Rocky Mountains, as our own Stuche aptly demonstrates here. Was anyone else aware of this? I feel like I have been denied IMPORTANT, NEED TO KNOW INFORMATION! LOL. ;o)

49. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    It's hard to follow Micheal.

50. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Hey, nice job. I like the C part! Where'd you find that?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast