Miss Monaghan's Reel

1. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Ok, so I went crazy recording videos this afternoon because I finally got a pair of dog ear muffs for "mandolin hating dog" a.k.a, my corgi mix, Stella. Don't scoff you lot - she hates the sound of the mandolin to the point of stressing herself out/getting ill, so some "dog hearing proctection" was a sound investment in my eyes. I'll post a photo of her for you all to chortle over when I get my camera back (lent it to a friend). I'm delighted to report that the wee beast slept soundly throughout the recordings and didn't even hear me jingle her leash a moment ago - which is a first for her! One of my favourite versions of this reel is the one Enda Scahill and Paul Brock do on their "Humdinger" CD, so my version is heavily indebted to theirs. Still working on getting it up to speed. I learned this from Enda Scahill's banjo tutor, but here are the ABC's for it from The Session.org:

X: 1
    T: Miss Monaghan
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Dmaj
    |: D2ED FAAd | B2BA FABc | d2dB ABde | fede fee2 |
    {E}D2ED FAAd | ~B3A FABc | d2dB ABdB | (3AGF EG FDD2 :|
    |: faab afdf | gefd edBc | ~d3B ABde | fede fee2 |
    faab afdf | g2fd edBc | d2dB ABdB | AFEG FDD2 :|

mandolin = Weber Custom Gallatin F oval
    strap = Long Hollow Softie
    pick = Blue Chip TD35
    armrest = a McClung armrest from Hill Country Stringworks
  2. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Wow, you really have been busy with the videos. That's a good tune. As far as the ear muffs go I can't scoff at anything that results in more mandolin playing.
  3. chrisblack
    chrisblack
    Really nice Jill...

I've played this tune in the past, (nowhere near as much ornamentation as your version), I'll need to put some practice in, or look at Enda's book to get to your standard...

Here's the tune as I remember it.

Chris
  4. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Thanks Chris! I would play it a lot less ornamented in a session, but for my own enjoyment at home all the ornaments are a bit of good craic.
  5. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    I didnt know there was a Miss Monaghan's Reel... I'm only familiar with The Monaghan Jig, also called Miss Monaghan's by the Bothy Band. Obviously, a completely different tune from the reel
  6. mikeyes
    mikeyes
    Again, Enda Scahill will be in the Dallas area this week and then on tour. He will be in Nashville a week later. Don't miss him and the Brock-McGuire band.

As for Miss Monaghan's reel, we play it differently in our session, a little faster and with fewer ornamentations, but it passes the great tune test: you can play it fast or slow or with different styles and it is still a great tune!

Jill,

Great Version! I am jealous.
  7. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Nice playing Chris.
  8. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    WHAT! Only two takers for this classic tune!

9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I love this tune...

10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    One of the rare cases you record the octave without capo (at least with in the last weeks). Nice to hear the full sustain.
    Well played and with nice accompaniment. Thanks, Simon.
  11. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Like Frithjof said, there is life after the capo
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Oh no... I’m practicing London Lasses at the moment and the capo HAS to be at the seventh.
    It’s the speed that excites me!
    And while we’re on the subject of foot tapping, London Lasses is a strange tune where I find foot tapping helps a lot, but is very difficult to do.
    Ambiguous rhythm?
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good to hear the octave at its full range, Simon. Fine playing. This tune would go well with The Barrowburn Reel, I think.