Week #28 ~ Temperance Reel (The Teetotaler's)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. chrisblack
    chrisblack
    One of the things I find spooky is that when the camera goes on, it appears to emit some sort of energy forcefield, making my picking hand speed up, leaving my other hand to try and keep up or catch up.

I may ask Olivia, Walter and Peter to investigate this phenomenon, just in case Massive Dynamic were involved in the creation of my laptop.

Or maybe I'll just take Enda Scahills advice and learn how to relax and breathe when playing

Chris
  2. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Alright, another Fringe fan!!
  3. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's my version of the Temperance (Teetotaler's) Reel. It's a little bit Irish and and a little bit bluegrass. I was looking thru the list and want to remind everyone that it's never to late to post your version of any of the tunes that have gone before...

4. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Really nice Michael, like the sound of that one. Have to put that on the to do list.

Kris
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    There's a teetotaler chuckling in his mason jar - excellent!
  6. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Nice playing Michael, and your right it's a lot of fun choosing a tune from the old list. I wondered the last weeks who were voting for the SAW group, not the once's who are posting video's.... Well some of them do
  7. Larry Ayers
    Larry Ayers
    I enjoyed that, Michael! I like the tempo you used; so many times when I play that tune with people they want to rush it.
  8. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    very nice versions in this old thread. I played a simple version of temperance reel. Total different sounding oval hole mandolin... it's a very loud mandolin though, strange woods from an unknown maker.

9. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Hey Luurtie, very nice playing and cool looking and sounding mandolin. Looks like it has a devil's horn on one side...
  10. GHall
    GHall
    We're a little late gettin' this in, but I didn't even know what a mandolin was in 2009, and I don't think my little girl could even lifted a guitar Hope you enjoy. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater
  11. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Always a joy to watch you two.
    Can't wait to see your next video.
    Will your daughter be playing upright Bass or Banjo.
    Gary
  12. GHall
    GHall
    Thanks, Gary! I'm thinkin' fiddle next time
  13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Sorry I can't watch your video GHall (FB reqires me to be a member which I don't plan to be) but I'm sure it's wonderful.
  14. GHall
    GHall
    Sorry, Betram, I didn't realize FB wouldn't allow everyone to see. Here's a Youtube version of the same posting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ8qjOJSALc
  15. GKWilson
    GKWilson

Above video. GHall and his daughter MandoGirl 88.
  16. jonny250
    jonny250
    great Stuff GKW, and really well played by the young lady too
  17. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Sorry for any confusion, but the beautiful and talented young lady is Greg [GHall] Hall's daughter.
    I bought a fiddle for my granddaughter and a guitar for my grandson this Christmas.
    I hope to have this much fun with them down the road.
  18. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Hard to say what is best in that video, GHall:
    - the great playing from both (do i see the new Sierra Hull, ahem, Sierra Hall there?)
    - the weird fact that the smaller hands are playing the bigger instrument (I will use this in the next pathetic "help I have small hands" thread)?
    - the blinding light from the super-shining Shmergel Devastator in the middle?

Don't know where to look first.
  19. GHall
    GHall
    Thanks for your nice comments, everyone! I had to google Shmergel Devastator, Bertram, and that got a good chuckle out of me Sorry about that obnoxious glare, though - Didn't notice it until we had finished the video.
  20. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    In the Netherlands we have a yearly bluegrass jam called Castlepicking , (we call it pickingparty). We played a spontanious triple mandolin version of Temperance reel... a lot of fun http://castlepicking.weebly.com/

21. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely played everyone! Castlepicking sounds like a blast...
  22. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Now there's a good pickin session!
  23. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    How fun! Y'all sound great.
  24. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Thanks for the compliments. It's a lot of fun finding mandolinplayers with te same taste for music at a pickingparty. Netherland is a small country you know so I guess there are just a few of them.. Edu and Martijn are great musicians..
  25. pluckinstrings
    pluckinstrings
    Here is my go at this awesome reel. I hope you enjoy it.

26. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    You play a good, clean tone with the mandolin and add a great rhythm with the guitar. Thanks, Jason.
  27. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nice, Jason. I like your triplets and the action the guitar is playing to put some oomph into the melody.
  28. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine playing Jason, nice to hear the precise rhythm, and the guitar’s rhythmic emphasis.
    Thanks for posting this, it’s one of my recent to-be-recorded tunes too.
  29. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Jason. I like your regular E min G major chord pattern on this very popular session favourite.
  30. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Ordered by importance, descending: Steady rhythm, good harmonies, clean tone. It's all in there, Jason
  31. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    My take on this - two versions. Paris Swing "Macaferri" mandolin and Ashbury AT-40 tenor guitar. I have tended recently to play this in a set with a reel in A which I got from the playing of Johnny Doherty called The Spirits Of Wine (either way round word well - Teetotallers'/Spirits Of Wine or Spirits Of Wine/Teetotallers'). I sent a recording to a friend a few weeks ago of the set. However as a joke it was just three minutes of silence. He emailed me back. "Can't hear anything, mate." "Oops. They must have cancelled each other out..." (I know, I know. My sense of humour can be very puerile at times.)

32. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Peculiar instruments, Aidan. That mandolin reminds me of some Aztec god with its gaping mouth. The top of the TG seems to be cut out of the deck of a boat. I suspect you have a museum full of these bold instruments no man has played before.
  33. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    Peculiar sorts of instruments for a peculiar sort of person, I suspect...
  34. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice to hear the tune on both the mandolin and then the tenor Aidan! Lovely!
  35. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Two fine renditions, Aidan. You have certainly settled in quickly to the SAW Group and your postings are something to look forward to.
  36. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Great playing Aidan, and nice to hear the difference between the two instruments.
  37. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    Kind comments, there, Jill, John and Simon. Much appreciated. Thanks...
  38. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Well, I finally managed to wild-record a couple of tunes. Not much went as planned.

https://youtu.be/zB0CBouxOSI
  39. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine playing there, Simon.
  40. John W.
    John W.
    Although things may not have gone to plan, Simon, you still managed to record a sound version of the tune.
  41. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    We don’t see the circumstances of your recording, Simon. But the product we can listen to shows your usual fine playing.
  42. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Your octave mandolin sings sweeter than the birds in the wood, Simon.
  43. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Gents, you are too kind
    Actually, something I did learn from this little adventure- don’t eat an orange before playing. I took a litre of water with me but decided to keep it for drinking- no hand cleaning. It’s actually amazing what the slight friction on the fingers will do one’s timing! I tried hand cream the other day but it seems to have a similar effect.
  44. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Nice bounce and feel, Simon. I think I'll a go have a glass of something.
  45. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Satan’s syrup!!
  46. bbcee
    bbcee
    Good stuff there, Simon. Since this was wild recording, I suspect you looking over to your right was to judge how far away the wild boar family was from you, and whether you could squeeze in another tune before they got too curious
  47. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I wonder what was over there to the left, Simon. A herd of bisons? Bovine animals can be crazy about music. Thanks for warning us about sticky delicacies, I'll continue to not even let the idea cross my mind
  48. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yay Bertram! No big game in that forest, just deer and very intelligent wild boar which are as a result very timid. I’ve actually just begun a new footpath myself, will see how it goes.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123