Instructors

1. banjoboy
    banjoboy
    Who teaches in the area, and how do they teach? Example is that one instructor down here in Tacoma really teaches mostly theory. I need to transition from banjo to mandolin. Who would be a good instructor for that?
  2. mandopete
    mandopete
    Won't Nolan help you out?
  3. mbrev
    mbrev
    In addition to mandopete (www.petimarpress.com), you can also find the names of several instructors at the Dusty Strings web site (http://www.dustystrings.com/shop/musicschool.shtml). The "instructor" board on the cafe website also lists an Olympia-based instructor. - Mark
  4. tango_grass
    tango_grass
    just for clarification, Petimar press is actually Pete Martin, a very well respected teacher. It might be dangerous if we crossed those Pete's together....Like mandolin madness man!!
  5. banjoboy
    banjoboy
    Mandopete,

I don't think Nolan has the time (kids, wife, work, jealous of my new mandolin, stuff like that). It's bad enough that he's trying to play banjo now. It's not like anybody can become a banjo player....it takes weeks of practice!
    Anybody ever take mando or guitar lessons from Roger Furgeson? Pete or Carol would be good choices. I just want somebody who I could hook up to my brain, like they did in Young Frankenstein between Peter Boyle and Gene Wilder. I'd get there manolin knowledge, and they'd get....well, whatever....
  6. mandopete
    mandopete
    Yeah, I think Roger would be a good teacher too. Being on the North end I'm not too familiar with the folks down your way. How about Terry Shaw?
  7. banjoboy
    banjoboy
    Terry is an awesome player and a good instructor. I'm just trying to figure out who else might be out there for a few lessons to make sure I'm on the right track and not developing bad habits. Or maybe I don't need an instructor, and am great just the way I am......nah....
  8. mandopete
    mandopete
    If you want some bad habits just come see me!

9. Gail Hester
    Gail Hester
    Chuck said he could show you some bad habits. It was fun last night thanks for coming.