Have they changed anything since the earlier examples?

1. Paul Statman
    Paul Statman
    Does anyone know if there have been any structural changes since they began building them? I know they went from Schaller to Gotoh, and may have changed tuners again recently (not counting fitting of Waverlys to the VD).
  2. Mike Bunting
    On mine (2003), the original Schallers had buttons that always slipped and had to be constantly reglued. On a visit to them, I mentioned this to Bill and he gave me a set of Gotohs which I gathered that they had switched to. I found that the Gotohs were a little rough in places so I made the switch to Wavs (which I love).
  3. Paul Statman
    Paul Statman
    Did the Wavs fit the same holes?
  4. Mike Bunting
    Yep.
  5. mandopete
    mandopete
    Ditto on the Schallers. I have a 2003 MF-5 with the same issue and I'm kinda surprised as I always thought highly of Schallers on my guitars. I've been living with the button on the 2nd D string slipping for the past 2-3 years and I guess I'm just too lazy to complain to Collings about it.

You would think they would go for a more high-quality mechanism on a $7000+ mandolin.

Mike - did you install the Waverly's yourself?
  6. Paul Statman
    Paul Statman
    Isn't there a lifetime warranty on workmanship and materials from Collings?
  7. Mike Bunting
    When I told BC about my problem with the Schallers I got them impression that they had received other complaints about them. That's when he gave me the Gotohs, which they use now apparently. I had "my tech" install them I have a good longstanding relationship with the Acoustic Music Shop in Edmonton and Rod does any work needed on my instruments.
  8. Paul Statman
    Paul Statman
    Hmm...so you say that Gotoh are their 'go-to' tuners, eh?
  9. Mike Bunting
    Don't know for sure, seems that they might be.
  10. Scott Holt
    Scott Holt
    My new MF came with Elite tuners.
  11. DougC
    DougC
    How do you tell what brand they are? I think mine are Go-to's but I see no name on them. My MT is two years old.
  12. Dan Margolis
    Dan Margolis
    My MT-1 has a bolt-on neck. Do they still do this on mandolins?
  13. Paul Statman
    Paul Statman
    I've seen a lot of electric mandolins with a bolt-on neck. Not so many acoustics..
  14. Dan Margolis
    Dan Margolis
    I figured that they tried the bolt-on neck approach with the MT-1's but went to glued necks with the MT.
  15. Rick Schmidlin
    Rick Schmidlin
    What would a 2005 MF5 have?
  16. rmartinez
    rmartinez
    I just took my MF #217 in to get some fretwork and a once-over. Apparently they moved to a single-footed bridge and recommended that I have them replace the original, which was double-footed. So I now have an 04' mandolin with a brand new bridge.