Anyone up in Northern IL

1. Zoey Peterson
    Zoey Peterson
    I haven't gotten a mandolin yet, but everything I keep reading, talks about how important a good setup on your mandolin is. What I don't really know is if any Joe-Shmo guitar repairman can do this correctly or would I be better off taking my mandolin to a violin shop? I am not sure about any reputable luthiers up by me.

The instrument I get will be in the beginner range, so to many users my mandolin will be considered a "beater" instrument. (I was looking at the Kentucky KM 161/162 online, but I haven't found one to try yet)

I don't see myself upgrading for a long time if ever from whatever instrument I do get, so a good setup is actually very important to me.

Thanks much, and sorry about subjecting you guys to a newbie post!
    Zoey
  2. RRTT
    RRTT
    You might try Cremer Guitarworks in North Aurora. He carries Kentucky mandolins, and nothing leaves his shop without a very fine setup. His prices are competitive with anything I find online.
  3. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    I agree with RRTT. i just had my 1919 Weymann bowl-back in his shop and Rick did a fantastic job in getting it back into playing condition. His shop is on
    RT 31 just north of I-88.
    good luck
    MIke
  4. Zoey Peterson
    Zoey Peterson
    Rick is great. I ended up buying from him and I love my KM-162. I wish I could do the instrument more justice but I am slowly getting there. As of now I can only play one song which I am pretty proud of, although I am sure I must sound pretty bad lol. I am so glad RRTT posted about his shop he does good work on his instruments and is overall a really nice, knowledgeable, and patient guy.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!
  5. jmcardle
    jmcardle
    Congrats on your new Kentucky! I've been really pleased with my KM161.