How do the mandolins get their names?

1. Marni Sorrick
    Marni Sorrick
    I am waiting for Ken to build my Silver Angel (a lefty "A"), and I am curious to know how all the mandolins he builds acquire their names. Does Ken name them himself?
  2. D C Blood
    D C Blood
    Hi Marni...mostly he just names the F models. It's kind of a personal thing with him, and unless the buyer asks about the name, Ken doesn't even tell them. I've talked to several SA owners who've had their SAs for a long time, and didn't even know the mandolins had names until I pointed it out to them, and told them where to look.
  3. Marni Sorrick
    Marni Sorrick
    Okay, gotcha.
  4. Patrick Sylvest
    Patrick Sylvest
    I've named mine 'Evangeline'; always found that pretty.
  5. Mark Walker
    Mark Walker
    Mine is Oliva. (Not Olivia - Oliva.) I have a list somewhere I created (based on input from SA owners) of the various names Ken has given many of the mandolins he's crafted. Off the top of my head, they include such beautiful names as Gabriella, Cynthia Jane, Lida, Tamara, Carolina, Selena, Carmelita, and Yana. Evangeline is a pretty name!
  6. D C Blood
    D C Blood
    Marni...saw your mando on my trip to Ken's shop yesterday. Very close to completion..you're gonna love it...
  7. Marni Sorrick
    Marni Sorrick
    Thank you. Trying to be patient; and that's not one of my virtues, as my husband often reminds me. :-)
  8. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    Mine is named Debbie. Not sure what the provenance of the name is. There's also an inscription that I can't quite read, but I sense is personal. I'll get around to asking Ken about sooner or later.

Nice to meet you at the Folk School Holiday Party Marni. You're going to enjoy your new mando!
    Don
  9. D C Blood
    D C Blood
    The new distressed F we picked up Monday for Andrew Rigney, newest SA endorsee, is # 304, named Alafar...
  10. Marni Sorrick
    Marni Sorrick
    I have posted a photo with our others of my new #305 (the lighter colored one) and what I imagine must be #306.
  11. jasona
    jasona
    Marni, that is an excellent finish! Love the colour
  12. Marni Sorrick
    Marni Sorrick
    Jason - I asked Ken for sort of a dark honey burst, and I am very happy with the result. The first couple of days, whenever I took it out of the case I spent more time looking at it than I did playing it.