Steel is Real--really?

1. timv
    timv
    How traditionaiist are we as a group? Does "if it was good enough for Bill Monroe" translate to "if it was good enough for Fausto Coppi and Eddy Merckx" when it comes to bicycles?

Until now I've only ridden steel frames, not out of dogmatism or reverence for days gone by so much as because I either bought it a long time ago when that was all there was, or I bought it really cheap later on when it had become unfashionable.

But I just got a Nashbar "AluC" aluminum/carbon frame and matching fork (on sale pretty low, plus they sent me a 30%-off code for having had my credit info compromised on their website.) So now I'm building myself up a racy "poser bike" with more recent-style components to find out what if anything I've been missing. I've also picked up a Flite saddle, some early Campy Ergo brifters, a black Ultegra alloy crank and Octalink Dura-Ace BB, threadless headset and stem, and a few other somewhat modern pieces to go with it. Dragging myself into the 1990s, so to speak...

Some folks like to use the term "retrogrouch." Reynolds 531 or Columbus SL steel tubes brazed into lugs, Campagnolo Nuovo Record (or maybe good Suntour) components, leather saddles, sewup tires, cloth tape on Cinelli bars...

Where do other folks stand on this?
  2. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    I'm nostalgic for the 70s vintage bikes that I rode and sold back then, but I'm hardly a traditionalist. I traded my Reynolds 531 for aluminum alloy in the early 90s and carbon fiber a couple years ago. The newer materials are just so light and functionally superior. CF is amazing stuff to ride on - light and stiff, yet forgiving. Now I just need a Mix mando to complement my bike (can't touch a CF mando for what I paid for my CF bike)!

Then again, I'm the same way with BG. I enjoy newgrass just as much as Big Mon.
  3. Daniel Nestlerode
    Daniel Nestlerode
    When I look at new bikes (I have a 5yo Specialized), I am amazed at how much I do not know. I need to do as much research and reading for bikes as I did for guitars and mandolins, and I forget how long that process took.

Having said that, there are few ways in which I am a traditionalist: Baseball (I'm anti-DH rule), the use of the English language, and the use of the telephone are the only three that come to mind. Mandolins and bicycles are not in the list.

So I'll use whatever bike or mandolin works in whatever way it works for me.
  4. timv
    timv
    I know what you mean about needed to do the research and reading. One of the things I really love about the classic racers of the 60s and 70s is how universal and interchangeable they are. If you keep in mind some basic things like English vs. Italian vs. French threads, you can mix and match and swap parts pretty much to your heart's content once you learn the fundamentals about how they all go together.

That kind of modularity and compatibility makes for a lot of fun. And, as with my most recent project, the mindset that a new bike isn't something bought as a unit off a dealer's floor, but rather a bare frame with a hand-picked set of new and old components added surely comes out of that era. It's not really that I'm all that demanding or picky about every part as a rider. It's just a lot more entertaining that way. (Same goes for building PCs.)

But it seems like things got a lot more complicated around or about the late 1980s. As Prof. Tanenbaum has said about computers, "The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from." Consider ISIS, Octalink (v1 and v2), Mega Exo, Mega Exo Integrated, Giga X Pipe, Hollowtech II, and Ultra-Torque--those are just recent bottom bracket standards, and I know I've left some out. New systems come and go yearly and even a basic task like replacing brake shoes can turn into an unexpected research project.

But one of the really cool things about carbon is all the great shapes that you can make with it. I enjoyed that as much as anything watching the Tour broadcasts, seeing all the curves and fillets and things being molded into frames these days.

Also similar to mandolins: I'm sure that the equipment isn't the main thing holding me back.

Can't stand the designated hitter rule either. :-)
  5. Daniel Nestlerode
    Daniel Nestlerode
    I had a lousy ride this morning. I hit about 4 ruts running across my path because I had to pull to the side for cars going 60mph. Put slow leaks in both tires. The front gave out two miles later. Then we had to stop to clear a hump I put in it when I changed the tube. The rear gave out about a mile after we fixed the front tire hump.

Point is, I held my riding partner's bike while he wrestled with the tube and discovered contoured handlebars. Holy Smoke! I want a set! My hands tend to go to sleep on long rides, and contoured handlebars would solve that problem instantly. So now not only to I approve of carbon fiber bikes, I want one. Bad!

Daniel
  6. timv
    timv
    > My hands tend to go to sleep on long rides, and contoured handlebars would solve that problem instantly.

Have you tried Handerpants for that? :-)

> So now not only to I approve of carbon fiber bikes, I want one. Bad!

You know that you can get the handlebars by themselves without having to buy a whole new bike, right? Not intending to p on your campfire, of course. If you want the whole new bike, definitely go for it!

Sorry to hear about the flats this morning. That sounds like quite an awful ride indeed.
  7. Spencer
    Spencer
    Can't afford anything fancy, would rather spend money on mandolins. I ride a pretty standard metal frame, Batavus, made in Holland. Next to my bus pass, it is my main means of transportation here, only use the car a couple of times a week. Too old to think about racing bikes and the like. Nice to live in a bike friendly country.

Spencer
  8. Daniel Nestlerode
    Daniel Nestlerode
    Tim,
    Yep. It was a frustrating ride. The Handerpants site was hilarious! I think I just need a little more padding on the base of my palms and I'll be fine. The 58 miler yesterday was mostly comfortable, but I did have to shake the bees out a few times. As long as I pay attention to how my hands feel, I'll be fine.

Yes, I did know I can get carbon fiber handlebars. But at 20 to 25% of the cost of a new bike, they seem an extravagance unless I get the whole bike.

Daniel
  9. Jimmijames
    Jimmijames
    I'm a huge fan of how steel rides but I'm not a fan of the weight. The roads either go up or down here in Colorado. I've got enough extra body weight to carry up the hills. Aluminum is light but it will beat the snot out of you on rough roads. My wrists can't handle it anymore. Carbon is my frame material of choice these days. Aluminum front triangle with carbon seat stays is my second.
  10. Mike Scott
    Mike Scott
    I ride a Serotta Couer d'Acier (Heart of Steel). It is made with Nobium Steel tubes (what ever that is). It is actually lighter than my Alu bike and rides like a dream. I always found it odd that every time a new frame material came out they always compare the ride qualities to steel. I have yet to own a carbon framed bike, but with this current Serotta, I don't have a BAS going on and don't see one in the forseeable future. Yes, in my mind - and I just rode a century on it last week- steel is real. With some gel gloves no more sore shoulders, asleep hands, etc.

Just my $.02
  11. Charlieshafer
    Charlieshafer
    Here's a pointless addition to this: When I was racing in the mid-70's, I got to race four crits in a row on different frames, my steel Masi, a friend's Teledyne Titan (titanium) then a demo Exxon Graftek, and last, an Alan. I finished exactly 47th in all four races, if I remember correctly. Overall, it's still steel for me. Sure, carbon is lighter and stiffer, but where's the love? I'm too fat to go fast anymore, but I always liked the springiness and liveliness of steel. My new stuff is still steel (Pegoretti's). If it matters at all, my son just finished second in his cat in the mountain bike nationals riding a 15 year-old Steelman, made out of steel. Living in Durango doesn't hurt him much, either.
  12. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    Steel is great...especially for us fat guys. I broke my Cannondale R900...by sitting on it . You know you've finally reached middle-age, when something like that happens...
  13. Charlieshafer
    Charlieshafer
    Forget participation, how fat do we need to get before we're banned from any sort of pseudo-athletic conversation?
  14. mandroid
    mandroid
    Steel, brazed together.. My new {used} bike is a Folding Brompton , Sturmey AW3 speed hub ,
    added a 2 speed Swiss mountain drive crankset .. so now there are 6.

Bring it inside and fold it up, under the table