Bellingham area music scene

1. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Greetings friends from northern Michigan. Pardon my intrusion. I dropped by for a visit, because I have always admired your part of the county. I even moved out that way - got as far as northern Idaho, but never fulfilled my manifest destiny...yet. So here's my question: What is the music scene around Bellingham like? Do you know of any Cafe folks living there?
  2. mandopete
    mandopete
    Hey Steve - I'm checking into this. I know that most of the members of the Barbed Wire Cutters were from that area, In fact Korby Lenker even recorded a CD called Bellingham. It's a great town with sort of a "college town" feel to me. I would imagine there's a pretty healthy music scene there.
  3. jd.panko
    jd.panko
    Hi Steve,

There are a few of us in Bham. I play with "bentgrass" every other thurs. at Graham's in Glacier (a bar at the foot of Mt. Baker) and try to do a half dozen shows a year in Bham. Check out 20 string band, the librarians (bruce shaw from the cutters), prozac mt. boys, Barnum Jack/Quickdraw Stringband (matt novak plays mando with Barnum Jack and has Dave Maguire(from the now defunct "feed and seed") playing mando with Quickdraw.), "monday night project" has Jan Peters playing mando. You should also check out Stan Miller Mandolins. A great builder and friend of John Reischman, from whose Loar Stan modeled his f-5 after. I'm sure there are more...!? Though I don't know if they are cafe members.

Jeff
  4. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Thanks for the scoop mandopete and Jeff. Sounds like some good BG and an otherwise eclectic music scene, which is what I was expecting. I'll have to get out there to check it out. BTW, how do you make a living in Glacier, Jeff?