G String Intonation Problem

1. John Holder
    John Holder
    The intonation of the G string, LP44, on my Trinity College is really bad going from open to any of the 1st position frets. The G string LB26 beside it is fine. Intonation on the other strings is very good. Is this common with the OM or should I be looking for another instrument? By the way, the intonation of the LP44 on the 12th fret is perfect - not a bridge location problem. I’m trying to help this a little by tuning down the LP44 a bit - especially if I’m in F. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Hi John,
    If I were you, I'd post this question under the CBOM forum. It will get a lot more exposure there.

Related to this...I've been wondering if this Social Group is really doubling the effort of the main forum. It seems to me this Group could go more into personal anecdotes and musings and deeper into the equipment. We may wish to have threads for different luthiers, for instance.
  3. fingersbill
    fingersbill
    John, what did you find out about the intonation problem. I have purchased an OM and have the same problem with my G string. Let me know what you found out.

fingersbill
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    John, if your intonation is fine at 12th fret then bridge position should be fine, as you say. Is it OK across all the strings? It may be that a compensated saddle might help, but again, you may already have one fitted.
    Another area to check is string height at the first fret. Do you have a zero fret or just the nut? If no zero fret, then the string height might be a bit high on the G string at the nut and this can cause problems as the string has a bit further to go down to be fretted. Don't know the instrument you are playing, so all the above could well be irrelevant - if so, sorry, but always a good idea to check nut as well as saddle area and over-all action height.
    HTH,
    John Kelly