changing a bridge

1. billkilpatrick
    i understand when changing strings it's best to do them one at a time - how do you change a bridge?
  2. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    Loosen the strings. The only concern here is making sure the sound post doesn't migrate with the top detensioned--but this shouldn't be a problem with a properly fitted post.
  3. Mandoviol
    Mandoviol
    You know, I've always wondered: when should you change your bridge? I know mine got kind of warped once (it was bending backwards), but I managed to fix it myself by readjusting it.
  4. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    When it starts to warp!
  5. billkilpatrick
    anything can happen in an emergency but from what i understand from the fiddle hangout, there's a lot more to consider than just plonking it in - why does EVERYthing have to go to a luthier?
  6. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    Well, bridges are sold "unfitted": that is, they are "blanks" that must be thinned and feet fitted to the top...not something you can do without some practice. I do mine, but I'm no pro. Everything you want to know about bridge fitting can be found here--scroll down to the bridge discussions: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43376

...bear in mind, violin bridges are much finer in all respects.
  7. farmerjones
    farmerjones
    Changing bridges??!?! Yikes!

Change a bridge if it breaks. But bridges are precisely fitted to the top. Bridges don't come profiled or fitted to your violin top. Most folks don't carry a spare bridge. If your bridge moves while changing strings, line it up with the ticks in the F holes. My bridge is 12 & 7/8" from the nut if i recall. If any lean at all, lean it towards the tailpiece. Trademark is usually facing the tailpiece too.
  8. farmerjones
    farmerjones
    Everything doesn't have to go to the luthier. Find a luthier that will let you watch. That's how i learned how to fit a bridge. I draw the line @ sound posts though. I won't mess with them.
  9. Jim Garber
    Jim Garber
    There are bridges made with adjustable feet that automatically contour to the top of the instrument. However, there is more to it than just fitting it to the top. A good luthier knows how to trim the "heart" and "kidneys" and thin out the bridge to bring out the best in sound. OTOH bridge blanks are relatively inexpensive so you can certainly try your hand at it. Personally, i think spending the big bucks and have a real luthier do your setup might be eye-opening in terms of what sound you can get from your violin.