Greetings

1. devonmandoman
    devonmandoman
    Hi from Devon, England
    Every time I look on this site, which I found this month (Feb 2010)
    And there's other nutters who play Octaves. I play a bit of Irish with "Off the Square around Devon, which helps to keep me sane (stuck in the office at present)
    I started following a thead on carved mandolins as I'm plotting to start a pair of OMs in the H/K style and A style. seeing as you guys play, how would they be received?
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Hi, Devonmandoman,
    Welcome to the group from another member on the near side of the Atlantic though a lot higher up the page!
    When you say you are hoping to start a pair of octaves, are you a builder?
    I'd be interested in keeping up with your progress if this is the case. I build flat-topped mandos and octaves, though at present I am making a travel guitar as a break from mandos. All the members here play various instruments and all are very friendly on this and the other social groups. As such, your instruments will generate a fair amount of interest, I am sure.
    Keep us informed.
  3. devonmandoman
    devonmandoman
    Hi John
    Yes I am a builder, but mostly in the construction industry! For my sins I am a full-time building estimator, but have been making stringed things spare time for the last 15+ years. I play in an Irish style band based around the Exmouth-Exeter area, and a friend recently asked me to make him an octave mando to commemorate the passing of his father; so something quite special. The first instrument I made is an octave, I still play it with the band, but my newer instruments are so much better I am now becoming dissatisfied with the sound. Hence I will start a pair, probable an enlarged A style and an H/K style scroll archetop. I moved house a bit over a year ago, the new workshop is almost complete, now I'm getting like the boy in the toyshop itching to get started again.
    I sure will post pics as work proceed, but it won't be speedy with full-time job!

all the best

David Wright
    devonmandoman
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Hi David,
    That's the thing with building - you always feel the next one will be that bit better, and this is what drives us on in our endeavours. I am just getting to the interesting stages of a travel guitar I am making for someone just now and looking forward to hearing it strung up. Been having a lot of delays up here with the weather - too cold over the past few weeks to let glue set properly and no chance of using hide glue at present. Hope it warms up a bit for starting the finishing process - varnishes and lacquers do not like the cold and especially the damp.
    Keep us up to speed with your projects.