object of desire - hardly obscure

1. billkilpatrick
    on hobgoblin.com there's a "smooth" violin (viola too) that's invading my dreams. tried to up-load its image but it won't appear. i've triumphed over MAS (ah-ha!) only to succumb to VAS or FAS ...
  2. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    For some reason, of all the acquisition syndromes I've been assailed with, V(F)AS has not been among them. I've even had DbAS, and HdAS...but not F(V)AS. Now, I could see f(v)BAS (bow acquisition).
  3. billkilpatrick
    whew - those _ASes have wiped me out! (snork) here's the fiddle that's currently filling my every waking moment:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7738680@N05/4387118827/
  4. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    Very pretty, she is. But I must say that I prefer corners on a violin. I even think the gamba bouts on my upright are missing something.

If you must have smooth bouts, have one of these: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...t=58315&page=2
  5. billkilpatrick
    very pretty II - a pukka flamenco guitar, i would imagine.

in your opinion, does the "smooth" violin look "early" - medieval or renaissance - to you?
  6. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    Well, I have no point of reference for such--I have litle knowledge of early music or its instruments.

IMO, regular fiddles look pretty "early."
  7. Mandoviol
    Mandoviol
    Smooth violins remind me somewhat of vielles, which are their ancestors:

Alisdair White of The Battlefield Band plays a smooth fiddle. IMHO, I kind of like having regular pointed bouts...not sure why, but maybe because there's something to hang on to there...

I have to wonder if there's an acoustic difference as well with smooth bouts. Do you lose extra resonance space that you would have with the corners there, or does it not matter? Does a cornerless fiddle have more resonance space? That's something to think about.
  8. billkilpatrick
    mandoviol - yes, that's what i had in mind - gorgeous ... clean lines, romanesque looking - although this one appears to be tuned in 4ths.
  9. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    "Does a cornerless fiddle have more resonance space?"

I'd guess that rounded corners are more a matter of economic production; check out those f-holes. The whole thing looks kind of Munch-ian to me http://urbangiraffe.com/images/art/e...nch-scream.jpg
  10. Mandoviol
    Mandoviol
    Looking at other photos, like the below, does it seem that the shoulders on the cornerless violin are actually larger than those on one with corners? Optical illusion? Maybe this is helps with resonance (if they're bigger).

Now, when it gets down to cornerless violins, though, nothing beats Ned Steinberger's design:
  11. billkilpatrick
    here's one up for auction on german ebay - looks to be a bit of a dog:

(sorry - http image won't download ... you're not missing much)
  12. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    I had one of these Ergo EUBs: about as stripped down as you can get.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showth...247335&page=48
  13. billkilpatrick
    i bought the "smooth" (cornerless) violin - held out for days!
  14. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    Cool. Will make a nice pair with your other..

For something medieval looking--check this out Bill: http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/110U-5231.htm
  15. billkilpatrick
    whoaaa! ... wouldn't want to try to keep it in tune but what a beauty!

my only concern for period instruments is that can only go one way - back. maybe someone will electrify us all with a jazz lute or rockn'roll vielle ...
  16. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    I must say, were I to V(f)AS for something...it would be this 20-string viola "de moray"; the more I look at it, the more I want it

Here's a used cornerless for sale (nfi): http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/110U-5614.htm
  17. Mandoviol
    Mandoviol
    For a moment, I thought that Ergo Bass was a tromba marina. Hey, there's an instrument...
  18. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    Wow. They do look similar. At least the Ergo has the advantage of plugging in; that tromba doesn't look like it would project particulalry well. Where did you find that, MV (what country, era, etc.)?
  19. Mandoviol
    Mandoviol
    It's a renaissance print of some kind. Found it on Google images. Apparently, the tromba marina has one bowed string and then a bunch of sympathetic strings inside, plus a sort of bell at the bottom. When played, it does sound a lot like a trombone or a trumpet (almost hurdy-gurdy or nyckelharpa-ish). They are LOUD. I have a set of vinyl records that go through Medieval and Renaissance instruments, and there's a trumpet chorus of some kind just for the tromba!

A bit buzzy in this clip of the tromba marina, but you get the idea. Commentors on this video say it's not the best, but it's the only actual Youtube clip involving one!
  20. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    Wild. I love sympathetic strings, but this tromba is different. I'd like to hear someone play that Viola D'amore. I'm reposting the bazantar (sympathetic bass) here, while we're on the subject of sympathetic oddities.

21. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    Ah, here we are. Very nice for solo work. One of these would assuage my hardingfele-desire nicely, I think.

More medieval-looking instruments..

And some venerable Nykelharpa..

22. Mandoviol
    Mandoviol
    I still wish I knew how the nyckelharpa is tuned. There doesn't seem to be anything about that online.
  23. Mandoviol
    Mandoviol
    Hey, here's something kind of cool: baritone violin (aka octave violin). Here's Darol playing his:

24. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    Re tuning: I just checked it (the first vid clip) with my fiddle and it appears to be ADAD. The sympathetic strings are all drones.
  25. Mandoviol
    Mandoviol
    Okay, so it's old-timey tuning...now I can rest in peace knowing that the tuning's not outlandish!
  26. billkilpatrick
    i love small instruments - it started with the charango. i toyed with the idea of getting a viola instead of the same model violin (smooth) but that extra couple of centimeters convinced me not to. schumacher lives!
  27. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    I, too, have a special fondness for small. As someone who's usually hauling around either a double bass or a drum kit, I enjoy going light when I can. On other threads, I've waxed prosaic upon my "desert island three": fiddle/mando; english concertina; flute...(and, I'm a double-case charlatan -- I pack four instruments in two cases). I've been working my EC this week in preparation for St. Paddy's Day gigs...and I was last evening amazed, again, at how compact the playing ROM is.

I like ukuleles too...charango is especially nice.
  28. Jim Garber
    Jim Garber
    I missed most of this discussion. My main is pictured here.

29. Mandoviol
    Mandoviol
    Jim, do you notice any tonal difference between cornerless vs. cornered violins? Just curious.
  30. billkilpatrick
    unusual shape on the upper-bout - back is psychedelic! how old is it - know where it comes from?
  31. Jim Garber
    Jim Garber
    Bill: There is a link above the picture of my fiddle on that post that goes to all I know about this maker.

This fiddle is more unusual than meets the eye. The idea was supposedly to have the least amount of carving (according to the patent) so I believe that the top was bent as well as the ribs. It has a very dark sound which I love, but is also sweet-sounding and loud.

Jim
  32. billkilpatrick
    ahhh ... got it - saw your post before morning coffee. i especially like the isosceles trapezoid shaped fiddle (first patent drawing) - i've seen "fyddles" like that on early music sites in the uk.
  33. billkilpatrick
    my "smoothie" arrived this afternoon - the package didn't seem particulary cold and the case wasn't either but when i opened it up, the fiddle felt like it had been sitting in the 'fridge. risking all the nightmares scenarios associated with exposing a cold instrument to a warm room, i pressed ahead and set it up - with no unfortunate consequences. it's slightly larger than my other fiddle with a slightly mellower tone. the strings are cheap - i bought a nicer set of all-black fine tuners and will change them when they arrive. slight difference in the neck - feels thicker ... more comfortable. beautiful to look at and hold with a substantial nitro-something finish. soon as i replace the strings i'll post a video. happy chappy ...
  34. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    Looking forward to seeing that, Bill. Especially now...I've been fiddling furiously this week to get my jig chops up for a gig on Monday.
  35. Mandoviol
    Mandoviol
    I need to pull mine out more often. It seems the mando's been getting more attention lately, but that's probably because it's been sitting out on its stand and the fiddle's been in its case.

Plus, there's the fact that I have to change the strings...

Hey, here's a question you probably don't hear everyday: when should you change your pegs? Or better, what should you do to keep your pegs from slipping? I take it graphite's not the answer here.
  36. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    Peg "dope," applied sparingly. Don't ask me what is...I'd have to find my reading glasses. Purchase from any stringed instrument retailer.

Hopefully, you don't have worn-out old Caspari pegs or some such...
  37. billkilpatrick
    graphite's a mess - soap never worked - resin is too sticky ... the only thing is "dope." what i have looks like a funky lip-stick and as ctmdu2 says, you don't need alot.