Phoenix A-5 Special

1. Rolfe
    Rolfe
    Finally finished---pictures in my album. The A-5 Special came about when I one last chance to get a piece of incredibly figured 100+ year old sugar maple. The board had a really unusual design that I could imagine in the center of the back. This maple really rings and has a tight projection that makes it ideal for Bluegrass. All the maple parts, even the bridge base and fingerboard support block are the old maple. So, it deserved some special attention. A carefully selected red spruce top was graduated just for this maple and fitted with extended tone bars. Although the Phoenix body is a two-point, the binding was done A-5 style all the way even to the finger rest. The headstock had to have "The Phoenix." The fingerboard, however, is radiused with larger gold EVO frets, a very modern touch. The tuners are the new Grovers, and the tailpiece is by James. The finish was stained more Loar style. It was a lot of fussy work, and right now I can't imagine making another one even if I could ever find maple like this. My test player, a fine local mandolin player, hasn't been over to road test it yet, and I am anxious to hear it.
  2. maj34
    maj34
    Wow Rolfe, that really is something special. The detail is really fantastic, all the way down to the bound pickguard. Any chance we could see a photo of that one on the instrument stand like the other photo in your album?
  3. Rolfe
    Rolfe
    Sure. Those were quick snaps. When I get a chance, I'll try to do better.
  4. evanreilly
    evanreilly
    Send it to me: I'll kick tires on fersure!!!
  5. Rolfe
    Rolfe
    The A-5 Special is now at The Music Emporium. Take a look at it on their website.