too hideous to consider?

1. liestman
    liestman
    Just how sacrilegious would it be to take the cover off my RM1 and de-vintage it, making it shiny brass? As if RM1s were not unusual enough, this would I guess really be unique. Any thoughts? (Yes, I am quite comfortable with buffing and do actually hand fabricate musical instrument parts in brass.) Would I be kicked off the Cafe for such blasphemy?

Or for more of a trouble free shiny, and some serious bling value, I could have my plater gold plate it. What do you think?
  2. Ray(T)
    Ray(T)
    I doubt it would do anything to increase its value; why not simply fabricate a new cover and keep the original?

Moderator - please kick this blasphemer off the cafe!
  3. chasgrav
    chasgrav
    Thanks for breaking the ice! I love the vintage finish, but have another idea:

I thought about a toggle-activated felt mute that would press against the cone when I want some quiet practice playing. I don't think I'd ever really do it, but I bet it would work.

Don't get me wrong --- I love my RM-1, loud and proud little bugger that it is!
  4. liestman
    liestman
    Hey, Ray, I like what you say! I do love my RM1 and it would be not overly hard to make a new cover, just for the fun of it, while keeping the original, um, original. Not that I will ever sell this thing! Thanks for the idea, I just may have to do that.
  5. Yukon_Don
    Yukon_Don
    It would look different. Might be nice. You would have difficulty keeping it bright unless it was clear coated. It would do nothing to increase the value of the instrument. Why not buy an extra cover from the factory and experiment with it? You could even consider chrome, silver, or gold plating.
  6. JonZ
    JonZ
    I like the fact that the more you abuse them, the "better" the vintage finished ones look. But that's just me.
  7. bevb
    bevb
    Whatever you do I expect it'll be fun !