Hello everyone

1. Zoey Peterson
    Zoey Peterson
    I'm new to the site and to mandolin, I am in the process of finding one at the moment. I was going to get cheap rogue to start with but after so many hours of researching mandolins, I don't think I'm going to anymore. I am not rushing into buying though. So many posts here convinced me of waiting till I find one I enjoy playing (although it's so hard to wait!) Maybe a nice one that's is in my price range will pop up here on the classifieds, who knows.

I'm 35 going on 36. I haven't had any formal training in anything but I tinker with a bunch of different instruments for fun. (I am definitely a beginner in all of them, mind you lol)

I enjoy a lot of different music types from classical to industrial. Now that you know so much more then you ever wanted to know about me, thought I might share some neat mandolin videos I found that are neat for fun.

These guys are my heroes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmfaZeq8-dU

The 6 year old mandolin player is amazing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZTXsoe0zxE

and finally this is one of my goals I'm working towards when I get a mandolin, this sounds so fun to just sit and play:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5iVFmTX3wQ

If anyone knows of any posts, websites, or even inspiring Youtube videos that have helped them, I'm all eyes and ears. If perhaps I shouldn't have posted this here, a point in the right direction would be appreciated. : )
  2. kalenh
    kalenh
    I recently picked up a RM-75 and it felt quite comfortable and the tone/volume was in my "price/performance" range. (I should note I liked the tone) I also played one of the A styles and it also felt good.

For your first Mandolin I'd recommend playing several and going with the one the "feels" the best. How does your hand feel on the neck? How does the neck width impact your pinky on the 7th fret of the G while your index is on the 2nd fret of the A? How does it feel in your hands? Don't ignore sound tone quality and volume but...if it's your first Mandolin, you probably won't be able to audibly hear the difference between a 300$ and a 3000$ "quality" mandolin.

I did play a Kentucky or 2 at that shop, but to me their necks were too skinny, and my fat newbie fingers had trouble playing chords without deadening other strings. It sounded nice, but it's feel was not up to my needs. ymmv

As many have said, go out to a shop or 2 and play some. You may need to make a few trips. Play all of the ones they have(even that 40$ WTF-72 they have in the back corner).
  3. Zoey Peterson
    Zoey Peterson
    lol at the WTF-72 :D

Seeing as I was wondering about the refrences to this pinky thing people kept talking about I googled "hard to play chords on mandolin" (i'm sure anyone who reads this is laughing right now..) searched for a while and found a position for an A flat chord that I am guessing starts at the third fret. I fished out the kids tiny student guitar and tried this chord on about the 8th fret on the last 4 strings knowing the tuning wasn't correct just wanted placement. (It was a chord spanning 6 frets using all 4 fingers) Needless to say I got it to play true but my thumb and palm promptly cramped up lol. (btw I wasn't going to share that but I figured someone would get a kick out of it)

As for not being able to tell much difference between a $300 mandolin vs. a $3000 mandolin you're right but I tend to suffer from GTS (Good Taste Syndrome) If I walk into a store with a big selection of something I want to buy, I usually decide I love one in particular, I then look at the price tag and have a minor heart attack! Placing this item down I make a nice little group of things I can deal with (and afford!!!) and choose from them. regardless your reply was very helpful (and painful because I'm a moron lmao) Thank you.
    Oh and I will stick to the two notes you mentioned rather then trying to chord that A flat again!

Edited to correct that it was an A flat major chord (regardless ouch!)
  4. kalenh
    kalenh
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiClT7X9fGc

Chop Chords.

I'm not saying I can play that "regularly", but...it does explain the chop chord process and how to play it without loads of pain.

I'd recommended something simply like GCD, simple 2 finger chords and lots of songs have that chord progression in it.
  5. Zoey Peterson
    Zoey Peterson
    I got my mandolin today and started to learn Campbell's Farewell to Redgap from susiakasinead's video from the song a week group. Fun fun fun! I had been humming that song since I stumbled on it here. To be fair I'm just learning the notes I'm not embellishing it in ANY way, still fun though.

As for the chop chords thank you for that link, and the pain was my fault because of my trying to remember fret size and guessing very wrong on the silly students guitar. I still have a lot of difficulty chording it but no instant hand cramps! lol

TY kalenh for the replies to the biggest newbie in the newbie group!

edited again to say the mandolin I was kinda set on and got, was a Kentucky KM-162. Pretty little pumpkin mandolin, better then the cheaper ones i was looking at, and purchased from a good shop recommended to me from my other group.

These social groups are either not very lively, or I'm scaring people away! lol
  6. Daci
    Daci
    Thanks for the videos! The first one is just delightful!