Unique bow style

1. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    This showed up on the "What We Are Listening To Now.." thread. Very interesting.

2. Mandoviol
    Mandoviol
    Wow...almost like an erhu, but more mellow...

I've got to wonder what that did to his bowhair? I have a feeling he had to have that rehaired afterwards.

I think I'll give it a try with one of my bad bows...
  3. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    What does one call that...slack bow style? Hang bow? Snag bow? At least, it's an effective means of executing drones and double-stops. I'm not going to try that, myself...it seems like a good way to screw with your technique!

Sounds like a pedal steel, with those "blocks" of notes..
  4. Jim Garber
    Jim Garber
    Joe Venuti used to do that decades ago. Not so easy -- also you need to rosin the underside of the bow. Very nice playing by Mr. Haynie.
  5. Mandoviol
    Mandoviol
    I gave it a whirl last night--as expected, it's not easy. But man does it sound cool! This sort of works on the principles of that big baroque German bow I posted in the other discussion; it just sort of wraps around the strings. I'm going to try it again.
  6. billkilpatrick
    verrry smoooth ...
  7. farmerjones
    farmerjones
    Saw Doug Kershaw do that too.
    Y'know these four finger mando chords would be the beeze kneez for that kinda style.

My bridge is flat enough to get triple stops. Watching and listening to Vasser's DVD got me into them. So many roads, so little time.
  8. David M.
    David M.
    I've heard of fiddlers winning bets this way. Betting they could play on all 4 strings at once, etc., then they disassemble the bow, flip it over, and win the bet. A. Haynie is just an amazing musician.
  9. TonyEarth
    TonyEarth
    wow! that is truly interesting. one could play chords on a violin like that!.. i think that is basically what he is doing.