St Anne's Reel

1. mzurer
    mzurer
    Well, a basic version, anyway... I'm working on double stops, but the little intonation problem you may note in the b section is much worse when I try to finger two strings at once!
  2. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    Very good. Doesn't it feel liberating to let that fiddle bow fly?
  3. billkilpatrick
    nice ... what make is your fiddle? - seems very similar to my german-made sandner.
  4. TonyEarth
    TonyEarth
    good! how long have you been playing?
  5. mzurer
    mzurer
    Thanks for the kind words, gents... I studied classical from age 7-14... That was over 20 years ago, but I picked up a mandolin about a year ago, and around the same time retrieved the violin from my parents(see also my recent posts about changing 20-year old strings!). I had focused on the mandolin, but I've been splitting practice time between the two for the last few months.

I posted about the instrument a little while back - http://www.mandolincafe.com/ forum/group.php?do=discuss&discussionid=1468 - I think it's a US-made violin, probably 40-50 years old. Given the finances of my family at the time I'm sure it could not cost more than a few hundred bucks 25 years ago. It had the misfortune of being sat on one evening when I took a break from practicing to rough-house with my brothers, but the repairs actually seemed to improve the tone!