Le Tour de France 2010

1. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    One week to go before the Prologue. Anyone want to weigh in on the winner? How do you think Team Radio Shack will size up? Will Contador be a contender again? The Schleck brothers? Always a highlight of my summer to tune in.
  2. Scott Tichenor
    Scott Tichenor
    Contador in yellow, Andy Schlek next. Lance won't finish the tour is my prediction. Rumors on biking forums include him being arrested at the French border which probably won't happen... after all, it was said on a forum.

Best commercials: Geico, hands down
    Worst commercial (notice singular, no one else even close): Shake Weight. Oh, puleeezzz!
  3. Daniel Nestlerode
    Daniel Nestlerode
    I dunno Scott, the big Texan laid down an excellent Prologue and a lot of the favorites are a minute back already. This includes both Schleck brothers and my dark horse/underdog pick, Vande Velde.

Though I think Contador is the hands down favorite, I'm still keeping an eye on Cadel Evans too.

I'm watching a DVR of Stage 2 and it looks like Andy Schleck broke his collar bone. Horrible crash on a narrow wet descent.

And Vande Velde is having no luck...
  4. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Wow, that's a bold prediction Scott. I like that, but I'm with Dan. I think Lance will be in the top 10. I hope Levi finishes this year. He'll be top 10 if he does. Looks like Andy Schleck was okay after a nasty crash. Farrar's arm doesn't look too well, though.

Gee, I'll have to watch the commercials for a change. I usually tune those out.
  5. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Another interesting day with more crashes. Looks like Cadel Evans, Andy Schleck, and Alberto Contador are setting themselves up nicely for the maillot jaune. The mountain stages don't start until this weekend. That will separate the men from the boys.
  6. Spencer
    Spencer
    Been one of the wildest/craziest starts to the Tour I can remember. Hopefully, tomorrow will be better. Start week is always full of crashes, but these two stages were off the map. The reports here are that Frank Schleck broke his collar bone in 3 places, and will have an operation early tomorrow. Really a shame for him, as everyone around here says he was in his best form ever. With the times today, the race will be quite interesting. Hope things are quiet until monday, as I'll be out of touch at a BG festival in Sweden through the weekend.

Spencer
  7. Daniel Nestlerode
    Daniel Nestlerode
    F Schleck did indeed break his collar bone in 3 places.
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/...e-crash_126710

I think these last two stages should have been 4 and 5 instead of 2 and 3. Getting kind of anxious about crash footage now. Yesterday Grazzani spills on the wet and oily Stokeu descent. The bike just went right when he went left. Same thing for F. Schleck on the cobblestones today.

I'm ready for a relatively sane bunch-sprint to the finish kind of stage.

Daniel
  8. Spencer
    Spencer
    Jens Voight was interviewed on tv today, and he was really upset about the cobblestone stage. He mentioned that they are totally out of place and with 200 riders out to make a mark, you are asking for trouble. He said it was a different thing years ago when there were only about 60 riders in the race and a lot of them out of it by the time they came to cobblestones. I think the work perverse was used in the interview. He ought to know about crashes, his last year was terrible, only worse one I can think of was Casertelli (sp?) who died in the Pyranees in the mid 90's. Paris Roubaix is a tough race, but a race in itself where those who don't want to run it can stay out. There's a different pressure in the Tour.

The former Danish rider, Frank Høj was talking about crashes on cobblestones, and mentioned that when you crash on asphalt, you often slide and get abrasions without breaking something, but when you crash on the cobbletones, you don't slide and it hurts!!.

Nice to see a quiet day today.

Spencer
  9. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Spencer,
    An interesting commentary from Jens. I totally agree with you and the riders. I hate even watching the cobblestone sections. I can almost feel the bone jarring, tire eating, dust sucking, danger lurking anxiety of it all. Save the cobblestones for the Champs-Elysees!

So, who are the Danish riders in the Tour this year? When I think of Scandanavian riders, Thor Hushovd immediately comes to mind, but I know Denmark has produced some good riders over the years...
  10. craigmurray
    craigmurray
    I completely disagree. Cobbles are awesome. I much prefer watching the spring classics like Amstel Gold, Paris Roubaix, Tour of Flanders etc. vs. watching the Tour. I love when things get strung out, and riders put everything on the line. In the Tour (which I do also love watching) things are much more conservative as everyone is worried about tomorrow (and the next day, and next...etc.). I loved that Stage 3 ripped the GC riders into small(er) groups. As a Canadian I was cheering hard for Ryder to stay away until the end. However, you can't feel too bad about getting caught by a small group of riders that include Fabian Cancellara, Cadel Evans, Thor Hushovd, Andy Schleck and Brad Wiggens. I was happy that Cancellara got the jersey back. Chavanel deserved it for the day, but Cancellara sacrificed it for his team.
    As for Danish Riders - there are lots. Half of Saxo Bank is Danish - Matti Breschel, Jakob Fuglsang, Chris and Nicki Sorensen.
  11. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    I was half listening to Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin delivering their delightful color commentary when Paul said something about the difficulty of the "col de la mandolin," on an upcoming mountain stage. At least that's what it sounded like to my American ears. I'm sure he was referring to the "Col de la Madeleine (a mammoth 15.9-mile ride up one of the Tour’s most formidable mountain passes"). I'd rather bike the col de la mandolin myself.
  12. Spencer
    Spencer
    One more Danish rider, Brian Vandborg for Luquigas-Doiomo. Other Scandinavian riders are the new talent Edvald Boasson Hagen from Norway, and the Swedish rider Thomas Lövkvist from Sky.

I enjoy the cobblestone classics too, and have watched Paris - Roubaix many times. There are always punctures, spills and such, that's part of the game, and you know it when you sign on. But its a one day event, and I think Voight was upset about putting such a risky stage, where something bad is almost sure to happen into a three week event, especially so early, when there is always a lot of turmoil and trouble the first week. He was also upset at what happened to a good friend and teammate, so that's probably part of it. But he knows the business was well as anybody.

The local paper today reported that Matti Breschel got tangled up with Lance Armstrong in one of his crashes today. He said he apologized to Lance, who replied that he would just be happy to get home and have a beer and pizza, he was too old for this.
  13. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Thanks Spencer for the response. Very sad to see Lance banged up and virtually washed up. I wish he would have went out on a high note after last year's third place. At least he is taking it well. Here's to a great champion and Tour legend!

Guess I'll root for Cadel Evans to win and for Levi Leipheimer to reach the podium. I'm looking forward to the remaining mountain stages.
  14. mandroid
    mandroid
    Basalt cobbles are a excellent surface, permeable to rain so won't have puddled water, it soaks into the soil, first,
    then off road crown to the ditches and surrounding soil.
    no potholes, and poor cold patch fix ... just re set the stones every once in a while , only need a bit of labor ,
    a job for a few people.

just on the Bike they are a bit rough on the hands and body , particularly at 20 + MPH.

Fired interlocking pavers are used to advantage in a lot of sensible towns, like in the Netherlands

and the fish scale pattern stone pavement is a common pavement of choice for centuries, over there .. Paris, etc.

The US seems to want to use Bitumen, OIL, from like the Orinoco Basin crude .. and jackhammer it out, to fix an underground piping leak.

OTOH, Pavers only need a Pick and Shovel, then you put them back when the pipe is fixed.
  15. Spencer
    Spencer
    I ride on cobblestones quite frequently, and do not enjoy it. It's a good way to find out what's loose on your bike.

Great stage today, lots of action. Amazing that Cadel Evans even got on the bike with a broken arm, let alone climb mountains. Hats off to the man!!

Long way to Paris, but it looks like it will be fun watching.

Spencer
  16. Scott Tichenor
    Scott Tichenor
  17. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Thanks for the news Scott. Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is the crime? Of course, UCI bans doping, but does FDA consider doping (e.g., EPO) illegal use of a controlled substance? The whole Landis affair is a sad tale and certainly tarnishes the sport. The worst part of it I fear, is that there is some truth to the widespread use of blood doping and other performance enhancements in the sport.
  18. Daniel Nestlerode
    Daniel Nestlerode
    I guess Evans is out the running now too. Stage nine yellow Jersey with a broken elbow, and he lost almost 8mins. Rough way to try too win the tour.
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/...d-elbow_128607

Daniel
  19. Daniel Nestlerode
    Daniel Nestlerode
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/...of-tour_129190
    Bad news for Mark Cavendish.

Daniel
  20. Spencer
    Spencer
    From where I saw it, he had it coming. It was about a subtle as a mad bull. There have been enough guys hurt this year, actions like that are definitely not needed.
  21. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    I agree with you Spencer. I watched it multiple times and the bigger infraction in my opinion was Renshaw's sharp veer to the left after the head-butting incident, almost checking Tyler Farrar into the boards. Almost like watching hockey. It made for good drama, but I hate to see guys get hurt.
  22. craigmurray
    craigmurray
    Although I won't disagree that Renshaw's headbutts were a bit extreme (or with the fact that the bigger infraction was running Farrar into the barriers)... Like a school yard kid I will say "Julian Dean started it!" He hooked his elbow around Renshaw's elbow and forces him towards the barriers. I don't think an ejection from the tour was called for. Relegation to the back of the group would have been more appropraite. However, I am in no way defending Renshaw's action

Again, a great ride by Canadian Ryder Hesjedal today. I was cheering hard (as hard as one can while watching live streaming video at work) for him to stay away. I love when guys are willing to take big chances. It didn't pay off for him today... but it was worth a try!
  23. craigmurray
    craigmurray
    Steve-o - Quote "Very sad to see Lance banged up and virtually washed up. I wish he would have went out on a high note after last year's third place."

I will say I am not the biggest Lance fan in the world. He has done a lot of good with his fame, no doubt. However, I for one wish he had "went out on a high note" after winning his 7th Tour de France. I think Lance will wish the same when all of the legal implications of the Landis allegations come to reality. I doubt Landis would have spilled the beans if Lance had not come out of retirement. Life might get very nasty for Lance in the near future.
  24. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Craig,
    I agree with you that Julian started the incident. I think they should have penalized both he and Renshaw, but that still doesn't excuse Renshaw for nearly taking Farrar out. That was some drama at 80 km/hr.

I was also pulling for Hesjedal today. Too bad the peloton reeled him in. I'd love to see a Canadian win a stage or end up on the podium. And I would have liked Cadel Evans to be there too.

I understand that not everyone is a big Lance fan. And I'm not so sure he is innocent, but I have the same suspicion of every Tour great this decade. I think it was Greg LeMond who said that all successful elite cyclists use performance enhancements. But Lance is an American legend and hero who beat cancer and is now a wonderful advocate for the cancer community. For that alone, I admire him and tip my hat to him. I agree that he should have stayed in retirement after winning his 7th Tour.

Edit: I just saw that Lemond was subpeonad by the Grand Jury in the Landis case - the plot thickens!

Next: Contador shows he is still king and clinches the Tour in the Pyrenees.
  25. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Well, barring a crash or illness, Contador looks like he has the race locked up. I enjoyed the 4 days in the Pyrennes - the sparring between Schleck and Contador. Lance's breakaway and chance to win a stage, and today, Canadian Ryder Hesjedal taking 4th place on the legendary Col du Tormelet finish. He is now in 8th place overall and Chris Horner (USA) in 10th place. Hats off to those guys. It will be interesting to see how Saturday's time trial affects the top ten.
  26. Spencer
    Spencer
    Yes, it's been a fun tour. Normally things are pretty well wrapped up by now, but 8 seconds isn't much, and who knows. What was it Indurain always said about the cat or dog (yesterday it was sheep) running across the road? Though it never got him. Contador is a Huge favorite, but it isn't completely over yet. Anybody remember Bjarne Riis' time trials in 1997?

Spencer
  27. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Spencer,
    No, please recap Riis' '97 Tour. Did he crash out in the time trial?
  28. Spencer
    Spencer
    No, but he had a special bike built for the time trials. It all started badly when he fell over on the way up to the start line. Then shortly after he started, he had troubles with the chain, the wheel locked up. It did this a couple of times, and he pitched the bike into the ditch in frustrations. He eventually finished, but didn't win the tour. The funny thing is that Riis is an absolute fanatic about technical details.

Here's a recap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFzteK_y1b4

Michael Rasmussen's trials in the polka dot jersey was also one big disaster, forget the year.

Contador didn't have big problems today, but Andy made him work for it. It was not one of Contador's best trials, but it was enough. Exciting, though, good Tour this year.
  29. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Those tales of woe are part of the Tour, like the old ABC Wide World of Sports mantra, "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat." All in all, an enjoyable Tour this year. Some good drama with all the crashes, the head butting incident, the fist fight, the Contador/Schleck battle, and less talk about and ejections for doping.

Too bad Cadel Evans had such a bad year, as well as Tyler Farrar, Frank Schleck and many others. It was tough to see Lance go out the way he did, but makes me wonder if the opportunity to lead a team and the big money was reason enough from his perspective. Quote of the Day: “I need a cold beer”—Lance Armstrong, when asked about what was his first thought after crossing the finish line

Congrats to North Americans Ryder Hesjedal (7th) and Chris Horner (10th). And of course to the podium winners Contador, Shleck, Menchov, and point leaders Petacchi, Charteau, Schleck, and Team Radio Shack. Mark Cavendish was pretty special too - 5 stage wins. Vive Le Tour!